A slightly different Kegerator Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skatermxracer

Reaction score
Decided I wanted to build a kegerator after looking at all the great examples here. Lucky for me my wife was completely for the idea, as we were going to have to set it up in our kitchen. Being that it was in the kitchen I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to look too tacky.

I started out with a cheap $15 mini fridge from craigslist. It was too small but that wasn't going to stop me. After thinking about how I wanted to proceed from there, I decided to completely remove the refrigeration unit from the mini fridge and essentially build my own "fridge." So I built a frame out of wood and then lined the inside with home insulation pieces.

IMG_20120401_204604.jpg

After that I built an insulated lid to go on top. Originally I was going to make it hinge, but this turned out to be a lot heavier and think its easier just to slide it forward.

IMG_20120602_153307.jpg

After that i lined the sides with some wood panels from home depot. I then added some trim around the top lid. I also built the box part for the taps themselves.

IMG_20120623_160152.jpg

IMG_20120708_171210.jpg

Next I stained the wood, some clear and some with a darker stain. After that I went and picked out some tile to do the top with.

IMG_20120715_172425.jpg

Then i laid the tile down and fixed myself up a drip tray using someone else's idea of using a floor central air vent.

IMG_20120728_175626.jpg

So after all that here is the final picture. I appologize in advanced as I didn't take a whole lot of pictures of the entire process. But oh, well. What do you guys think!

IMG_20120729_082752.jpg

Very cool! How do you work a sealing door? I assume since you have two taps that it is big enough for 2 corny kegs, but how about full sized kegs?

Steve

I dig it. It fits in well and doesn't take over the kitchen. Very well executed.

Very cool! How do you work a sealing door? I assume since you have two taps that it is big enough for 2 corny kegs, but how about full sized kegs?

Steve

I can lift off the top, the seal around the top, which is on the underside of the lid was just the left over seal from the door from the mini fridge.

Looks good! Can you snap a pic of the interior? Would like to see how you dealt with the compressor hump. Did you have to alter the guts of the fridge in order to frame it all in?

Looking to steal this design ;)

Nice job!

Tip on staining in the future- to eliminate the blotchy look on the pine, use the "Pre-stain" before staining the wood. The "pre-stain" ensures that the stain absorbs equally and give it a consistent look.

Still looks great.
I would like more info on how you removed the cooling unit from the old fridge.

I plan on doing something similar to this when I get back to school. Living in school housing we cannot have any form of "community" alcohol sources. That being said I obviously can't put a keg in plain sight. So I would love to know how you took the refrigeration unit out of the fridge so that I can do something similar except make it look like a dresser.

Well, seems the OP is MIA. This thread has some good advice/pics of what to do with the fridge and what to look for in a fridge.

Latest posts

Back