A question on carbing a dry tripel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
I took another stab at creating a tripel and ended up with less than desirable results. My inexperience in brewing led me to adding a god awful amou t of candy sugar to help sweeten up and add a little more ABV to my batch. I ended up with a 13% extremely dry beer. Live and learn. So, I added a vanilla bean to secondary and let it sit for 5 months. It has mellowed out quite a bit and will be drinkable. But, it doesn't have much body to it. I've pulled some samples and carbed them to see how it would be. With a lot of carbonation, it actually is t too bad. My question is this, how many volumes of CO2 would y'all suggest to get it really bubbly? I was thinking in the range of 3.2-3.5. Do y'all think that's too much?

If you don't mind that high a level of carbonation then go for it if it makes the beer taste better. At those volumes I am assuming you are kegging it. If you plan on bottling you must use belgian style bottles with corks and wire cages to prevent bottle bombs or caps blowing off!

Yeh, I'm kegging. I know typical tripel styles are around 2.4-3.0. I'm just wondering how much of a difference there is between 3 and 3.5. I've had some really carbed triples and then some that weren't as much. Are there any examples of bottled beer that are in the 3-3.5 range?

Back