A question of faulty bungs and airlocks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProPyro

Reaction score
I have a 23 liter batch of ale in primary fermentation right now and I noticed a bit of a problem. For 2 days it wouldn't bubble, then I realized I was using a hack job bung and my airlock was way over filled.

When I say hack job I mean a solid medium bung with a very crude hole poked into it. It lead me to believe that it may have been breathing through the bad bung seal.

I bought a proper bored bung for my demijohn and filled the air lock half way instead of 4/5 of the way up. It seems to be bubbling away happily now and the head looks good.

The 2 days of poor or uncontrolled ventilation won't affect my brew, will it? It's a Coopers Real Ale starter kit.

More than likely you had active enough fermentation going on so the off gassing would prevent most nasties from getting in there. Some professional breweries ferment with open containers with no issues. There's no choice but to wait and see but I'd say youre probably ok.

Back