Quantcast

A question about Coriander in a porter and another question about yeast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tired

Reaction score
So, my gf is at work, and I am up way too early on a Sunday brewing. Right now, my Taddy Porter like beer is in the mash tun, and I just decided that I want to add some coriander to it. I was thinking of adding about a tablespoon of the crushed seeds to the boil. Is this too much? Too little? How long should I boil the seeds for?

And, now my yeast question...A friend ( I promise this is not me) called the other day and told me he left a tube of White Labs yeast out on his counter for 5 days in 70+degree weather. Do you think that his yeast can still activate or is too late for it? Should he make a starter or should he just toss it and head to the brew store and buy another tube?

Thanks,

tired

Beerrific

Reaction score
Don't know about the coriander.

The yeast will probably be fine. Definitely make a starter. You should be able to tell from that if the yeast is viable.

WOP31

Reaction score
I would say that a tablespoon of corriander would be to much for a five gallon batch but about right for 10 gal. it is pretty potent. I just did a 5 gal saison and used about a teaspoon.

The yeast, if you have time make a starter and see if the yeast activates if they don't go grab another vial. if you don't have time for a starter Just get another one and put that one in the fridge till you have time to make a starter.

Cheers

OP
T

tired

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips...

wop31: How long should I boil the coriander for?

woosterhoot

Reaction score
i usually boil spices for the last tens minutes. a tablespoon is probably too much. I went crazy on a spice beer and now am of the opinion no more than a teaspoon of any spice. you can always drop more in secondary or when bottling if its not enough, but you can never take too much out.

WOP31

Reaction score
I would put it in the last 10-15 minutes. Corriander in a porter should be interesting you should post the recipe and let us know how it comes out.

Cheers

Stef1966

Reaction score
I usually put about 4 tablespoon of coriander in a 5 gal batch when i brew something i want it in, usually it stands out, but not to the point that i think it's too much, but i usually enjoy spicy meals and stuff, so it might be too much for most people.

I think Coriander and Orange peels make a happy marriage as well.

count barleywine

Reaction score
On a tasting note, I added about half a tablespoon of crushed coriander to an American stout whilst in the secondary, and many people enjoyed it. I didn't boil any, it was a whim that came on later, but the roasty ale and coriander really blended well.

Latest posts