A Preacher making Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tevin223

Reaction score
As a Reverend people look at me pretty funny when I walk into a Brewery supplies store with my clergy wear on buying supplies for making a good hard cider. My question is there any other ministers out there who do the same thing as I? I hope so so I'm not the only one out there?

There was a lengthy discussion on here about religion and brewing and I believe there was at least one brewer that was a man of the faith...

If it makes you feel any better I have a frat brother that used to brew with us in the house before he took to the cloth...

Since I don't follow your religion (I'm one of the tribesman-jewish) I don't know if the church actually has a definitive stance on brewing...although it would be hard to say no when you have all those monks in Europe brewing up all that delicious Trappist style ales!

Cheers!

Tevin223,

I am in the music ministry and on the council of our church (pentecostal) which is VERY against the consumption of alcohol. I don't talk about drinking with other members of our congregation but if anyone asks I am honest about drinking in moderation and home brewing.

I cannot find evidence in the Bible that we should avoid it entirely but as Im sure you know 1 Timothy 3:3 says that we should be "Not given to wine" which I believe to be pertaining to dependence more than simply consumption.

I'm a lutheran pastor in MN and there are three others in my Synod that I know of. Of course our tribe never had an issue with enjoying beer and wine in moderation. Martin Luther certainly didn't. It is also pretty well known in the home brewing community that I'm a pastor.

As brother Martin is said to have said: "I sit by my fire drinking my good Wittenberg beer and the Kingdom of God comes all by itself."

Steve

Jesus Turned Water into Wine.....

If Home Brewing was good enough for Him its good enough for me.

Oh... but I'm not a minister... or really much of a believer

I cannot find evidence in the Bible that we should avoid it entirely but as Im sure you know 1 Timothy 3:3 says that we should be "Not given to wine" which I believe to be pertaining to dependence more than simply consumption.

In the same letter, Paul later advises Timothy to drink wine for health benefits:
1Ti 5:23 "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities." -- KJV

Last I can recall what kings james version said about it is drinking is okay just not to the point of a drunkard.

Ecclesiastes 9:7

Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.

Corinthians 6:12

“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything.

I'm not a man of the cloth. Nor do I play one in any forum. However, the early european settlers of the new world brewed and drank beer because the water often made them sick. If that relatively recent people drank beer for health reasons, I assume earlier peoples in europe and the middle east did so for the same reasons.

I'm not a Priest but am Catholic. The Church I attend is one that trains Seminarians in an internship. When the Pastor found out that I brewed the 1st thing he said was "you should talk to Dominick, he brews beer all the time in the rectory...some of it is pretty good!"

3 weeks later I was invited for his brew day :)

I'm a Lutheran pastor (8 years in June), homebrew (3 years). For a time I had to take extra work outside the parish in a fish market. One evening a coworker and I were talking about beer (trying to covert Him from that stuff they brew in St. Louis) and another coworker walked up and said, "Oh, he's a preacher, he surely doesn't drink." I replied, "Drink!? I make my own at home!" Then we had to call for a cleanup on that aisle.

Home brewers, in my experience don't use beer as a vehicle for drunkenness because they appreciate the process, time, and ingredients. Besides, if I'm only going to drink what I brew, I don't want to blow it all in just a few sittings. That's my take anyway.

I didn't change religions so that I can drink. But when I saw my priest in the beer line at a baseball game, I knew Catholicism had it's perks.

I'm a Lutheran pastor (8 years in June), homebrew (3 years). For a time I had to take extra work outside the parish in a fish market. One evening a coworker and I were talking about beer (trying to covert Him from that stuff they brew in St. Louis) and another coworker walked up and said, "Oh, he's a preacher, he surely doesn't drink." I replied, "Drink!? I make my own at home!" Then we had to call for a cleanup on that aisle.

Home brewers, in my experience don't use beer as a vehicle for drunkenness because they appreciate the process, time, and ingredients. Besides, if I'm only going to drink what I brew, I don't want to blow it all in just a few sittings. That's my take anyway.

That's true.... For me it's relaxing. Last Monday I sat by the kettle and read in the snow while keeping an eye on the boil. My wife just shakes her head...... I love the quietness, the smell, the creativity. It's good after a busy weekend.

I don't know if any of our priests brew, but we have a huge Octoberfest every year complete with beer tent.

And then there's those Monks, how can I argue with men of the cloth?

I am a member of the BSB Backslidding Southern Baptist Church

I used to go to church every sunday, But the "old biddy" click started taking over

they show up every sunday, acting filled to the brim with the love of Jesus

then on monday, they go on a back stabbing spree,

I have no problem with the good reverend drinking a beer,

A cold beer on a hot day is just natural

Back