A Noob question about mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weazoe

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting ready for my first batch of all grain. I'm making my lauter from a beverage cooler and assembling a manifold from 1/2" copper tube.

While I was working on it I began wondering why I couldn't just mash grain in the pot I would eventually boil in? What would happen if I were to load my grain into a couple of oversized grain bags and hold it in six or seven gallons of heated water for the right amount of time? I'm almost done with my lauter so the question is probably moot, but I am curious if I could mash that way.

I'd appreciate any replys.

TIA,
Weaz

I don't know if you can but from my experience with hopping in a bag as opposed to throwing the hops in there was much less hop flavor released into the wort, therefore I believe the problem with trying to mash all that grain in a bag may be not getting enough circulation through the grain to properly convert all the grain efficiently. When you start adding things like wheat and oats to the mash I think the problem would be even more noticeable. Just my guess but I am interested to see if anyone tried that method with good results.

Back