A must called Grapple? Hmmm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooknhogz

Reaction score
So I went to my local cider mill to pick up 25 gallons of fresh pressed cider today and the owner told me they were getting ready to press Grapple. Of course I had to ask, what’s Grapple? He said they take equal parts Concord grapes and apples, grind them up and press. So, it’s like a 50/50 Concord grape juice and apple cider. Well, living not to far away I ran home and grabbed 2 buckets and got 12 gallons of it. Now I just need to decide is it going to be a cider or Wine. I’m thinking cider. This could be interesting. To be continued

I have each 6 gallon bucket on a 1/4 tsp of PM to kill any nasties / wild yeast right now so I have a little time to decide. I’m thinking one cider, one wine as yooper suggested. SafCider yeast in one and Cote de blanc in the other. Along with pectic enzyme, yeast nutrients yeast energizer and probably a pound of corn sugar to each 6 gallon batch.

I'd leave the sugar out of the cider batch. I'm really curious what the 'grapple' brings to the table as is. Whats the gravity of it?

I will be checking and pitching the yeast tomorrow and I will take a gravity reading then and post
I'd leave the sugar out of the cider batch. I'm really curious what the 'grapple' brings to the table as is. Whats the gravity of it?

Well, went out and stirred the buckets and took a SG reading. I was very surprised to see the 2 buckets of Grapple were at 1.048 and the 4 buckets of apple cider were at 1.050 if I was betting money, I would of thought the cider with the Concord grape juice in it would of been higher.

I'd probably do 6 gallons wine, and 6 gallons cider if it was me.
Does concord make good wine though? Wine grapes are often like cider apples-different varieties, maybe(probably) inedible.

True enough. I don't like heavily tannic ciders. Once my bittersweets finally fruit, I suspect I'll blend them down more than normal.

I’m thinking one cider, one wine as yooper suggested. SafCider yeast in one and Cote de blanc in the other.
Is SafCider the same as Champagne yeast?
I'd use 71-b in one batch and see if it helps acid reduction.
I've done all kinds of combinations of cider/fruit, but never thought of using concord grapes, I think I'll try it with some frozen concentrate.
Portland Cider Company makes a seasonal commercial example of concord grape cider.

Last edited:
Is SafCider the same as Champagne yeast?
I found this description:
Fermentis Safcider, selected from the Champagne region, can be used for all types of ciders, even under difficult fermentation conditions.
This cider yeast works at a wide temperature range between 10-30°C (50-86°F) with ideal temperatures between 18-24°C (64-75°F).
Works at low pH from 3.3. Low nitrogen requirements: from 150ppm of Yeast Available Nitrogen. Maximum SO2 level : 70mg/L.
Very good assimilation of fructose. Highly flocculant.

Back