A little worried about my StarSan here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frilock

Reaction score
This past Sunday I brewed up a batch using the same procedure I've been using for a while now. I clean and then fill up my brew bucket to the 3 gallon mark. Then I pour in a little over an ounce of Star San, the top off up to just below the 5 gallon mark. I give it a few good swirls then cover and let sit for about 5-10 minutes. I open and close the ball valve on the bucket 3-4 times the fill up a spray bottle. I then drain about another gallon or so into an old gallon pickle jar. This is the water I will use to sanitize anything I need during the brewing process.

Normally when I'm done I empty the pickle jar and put it away. I also use this jar for PBW when I'm cleaning things up. I did not empty the jar this time however. Today (Tuesday for those of you from the future) I walked by the jar and noticed that it had something growing in it:

JbrIZHD.jpg

poCOL9d.jpg

VE8tVN3.jpg

In my almost 13 years of brewing I have seen infections. This is the first time I've seen my sanitizer get one. I'm starting to wonder if the 1 ounce per 5 gallons is strong enough. Should I be worried? Have I been doing this wrong the whole time?

Edit:Fixed pictures

i've been doing a similar process for 10 years and have never come across that either. i use 1oz per 5gal as it says and it has always been fine. i see the reason for your concern, hopefully someone will have some more insight but just from a fellow brewer i would say your process is good. and if you have been doing it wrong so have I.

The pH of that solution would have been worth knowing.

I've never seen nor read of anything like this. Not sure what I'm even looking at...

Cheers!

The pH of that solution would have been worth knowing.

I've never seen nor read of anything like this. Not sure what I'm even looking at...

Cheers!

You know, I think that's where I screwed up. Distilled water in somewhat short supply I only used it for the brew. Straight tap for the sanitizer, didn't even think about it. I dumped it before even thinking of testing it. Guess I've learned now. Here's hoping it ends up ok.

Back