A little trick for an emergency blow-off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Matemático

Reaction score
I see a lot of posts asking how to set up a blow-off tube when faced with an overflowing ferment, but the advice I've seen usually involves sticking a tube in a carboy bung, or using narrower tubing than most beginning home brewers have on hand. My batch of rice wine started overflowing through the airlock and since I'm using a plastic bucket, not a carboy, I had to improvise. I found that a #7 carboy bung fits snugly in the top of a 3 piece airlock, and then you can get a good seal by inserting the tubing into the bung. I'm sharing here since I haven't seen this trick posted anywhere else. (the towel is just to keep the temperature up)

hth! IMG_20200430_142954.jpg.

I usually never need a blow off tube but the only time I had the lid of my bucket pop off because of a clogged airlock, I just took the hose off my wort chiller and with the end that fits over the copper, I was able to use some warm water to get the tube over the internal tube of the 3 piece airlock. Worked like a charm.

Welcome to the forum !
It's also helpful when kegging , connecting gas post side to the spot like you did helps fill the displacement as you transfer

I see a lot of posts asking how to set up a blow-off tube when faced with an overflowing ferment, but the advice I've seen usually involves sticking a tube in a carboy bung, or using narrower tubing than most beginning home brewers have on hand. My batch of rice wine started overflowing through the airlock and since I'm using a plastic bucket, not a carboy, I had to improvise. I found that a #7 carboy bung fits snugly in the top of a 3 piece airlock, and then you can get a good seal by inserting the tubing into the bung. I'm sharing here since I haven't seen this trick posted anywhere else. (the towel is just to keep the temperature up)

hth!View attachment 678078.
Pretty slick

All my blowoff tubes are similar to that, I don't use the airlock, but have the hose in a drilled rubber stopper, then the hose into a growler of water. Managed to get 4 hoses into the growler on my last multi brew day. That thing sounded like popcorn going off with 4 fermenters blowing into it. just have to be careful on how much foam gets blown through the hoses.

Back