A little help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broffi_1027

Reaction score
I brewed this La Petite Orange all grain kit from Northern Brewer about a month ago. I am planning on kegging it over the weekend. Left for vacation last week and when I came home I found this white stuff floating on the top. I've been brewing for several years and this is the first time I've seen this happen. I did use Seeds of Paradise in the beer and the insides of them looked similar to this when I crushed them and added them to the boil. Just wondering if anyone can tell if it's just yeast floaters or if it's infected. It smells like a Belgian ale, haven't tasted it yet though. I have used this same White Labs Monastery yeast strain in the past and never had this show up before. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 1470861072504.jpg

View attachment 1470861080414.jpg

View attachment 1470861086996.jpg

Kinda hard to tell from the blurry nature of the photos. Have you tried a sample? What does it taste like? I would say that from photos Ive seen of infections, that waxy look typical isnt yeast (r otherwise) rafts. I would pull a sample and see what it tastes like.

Also, you may get more responses if you put the thread in the correct forum. Maybe @passedpawn, @yooper, or another mod can move this thread for you

Kinda hard to tell from the blurry nature of the photos. Have you tried a sample? What does it taste like? I would say that from photos Ive seen of infections, that waxy look typical isnt yeast (r otherwise) rafts. I would pull a sample and see what it tastes like.

Also, you may get more responses if you put the thread in the correct forum. Maybe @passedpawn, @yooper, or another mod can move this thread for you

I will pull a sample tomorrow. I popped it open and it doesn't smell sour. Sorry about posting in the wrong thread, I usually do this from the computer but I didn't have time to get on the computer today. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks!

I will pull a sample tomorrow. I popped it open and it doesn't smell sour. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I usually do this from the computer but I didn't have time to get on the computer today. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks!

Well, in some pics, parts of it look like broken ice pack I see here on Lake Erie. That's usually indicative of the beginnings of an infection taking hold. :confused:

Well, in some pics, parts of it look like broken ice pack I see here on Lake Erie. That's usually indicative of the beginnings of an infection taking hold. :confused:

That's what I thought. Most of it looked like yeast but the waxy looking iceberg chunks look like the start of an infection

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I finally got around to tasting a sample today and the beer tastes delicious. I don't detect any off flavors at all. I even took a sample down to my LHBS and told the guy there the situation, showed him the pictures and gave him a taste and he said he thinks it tastes great and I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks again! 🍻

Back