a little help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfishnc

Reaction score
so, i built the counterflow chiller that's listed in the diy section. it was pretty easy and it seemed to work awesome with my test case. however, i did melt or disfigure my auto siphon in the process. i learned that this is NOT the tool for the job. heh, whoops! :cross:

my setup is simple; a kettle (no valve), a cf chiller, and some fermenters. do you guys have any tips or advice on how to siphon the hot wort out of my kettle?
_dsc4951.jpg

guess i'll be replacing that siphon this week... batch number two is to be brewed this friday. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

eric

They make stainless siphon tubes. I've never seen a stainless auto-siphon though. Some people use a pump.

Whats the point of the Counterflow Chiller if you are not using it to cool down the wort before transfering it?

That probably sounds dumb and may be an obvious answer to someone whos not a newb like me.

Wow, you are going for gusto.

Like arturo7 said your best best would be to add a valve to you BK. Or since you went this far you could start building a RIMS or HERMS system and really put that CFC to use.

Wow, you are going for gusto.

Like arturo7 said your best best would be to add a valve to you BK. Or since you went this far you could start building a RIMS or HERMS system and really put that CFC to use.

would i need some 'filter' or screen in addition to that valve? or would the valve do ok for now?

i wouldn't be opposed to that, but drilling through that $60.00 pot could be a little tense. :) although it is a dedicated brew kettle.

i don't think i have the time to get a pump and all before my next session, maybe by the next batch. man, so far i've bought something new for all of my (2 :D ) batches... addicting.

Back