A little bit of help please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristo

Reaction score
I am totally new to wine brewing however I love the stuff!

I recently purchased a Cellar 7 7 day Merlot kit to start with and try from a local store who im sure will help me but Im panicking!

I have fermented the wine as per instructions for 5 days now and I believe the fermentation has stopped (hydrometer under 1000 and the airlock water returned to an even level with no further bubbling), I have decanted it to a 'wine bag' without allowing sediment etc. (this was suggested by the brew shop as this kit is not like the longer more complicated ones and it was suggested that I could go straight to the heavy duty bag)

Just before adding the secondary packet of 'stuff' as per instruction I was able to taste the wine and although it tastes like wine to a degree it has what I can only describe as an either sour or 'fermenting' taste which detracts from the ultimate flavour and basically isnt very nice! I may be being premature as it is not ready to drink for a least 2 more days but will that taste disappear? Have I failed somewhere?

I have looked this up on the internet to find certain people suggesting that a sour taste could mean the wine is ruined or possibly needs some 'campden' tablets however I was under the impression this wasn't necessary for this kit??

Am I worrying unnecessarily? If you could help I would be grateful.

hope you can help. Kris

cellar 7 make a 7 day kit. Super yeast apparently!!! Just trying a quick one to start and Ill move onto a better one soon.

just to add to my last, it actually has the smell I can taste aswell if that makes sense?

You'll find that the various kit manufacturers refer to their kits as "six week" or give it some other optimistic designation. Just because fermentation is complete is seven days doesn't mean the wine is ready to drink - not by a long shot. I find it difficult to believe any wine could be ready to drink in less than two months - especially one that ends up below 1.000 without back sweetening. What you're likely tasting is young wine. Give it at least a couple more months and then try it again at 6 months. Yuo'll be much happier with it.

Back