A Kombucha journey with a Coconut Sugar Twist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard Works

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this forum and thought I would share my story.
I have been brewing Kombucha for a year now and experimented with a-lot of different aspects of brewing it ( sugars, specified yeast slanting, tea varieties) and creating the best finished product. I will upload some pictures of my mother in all her glories and let you guys in on what i'm working on now.

the top or first uploaded picture is my main mother (beneficial bacteria symbiotic with yeast)
She did all this work and was the main pour for all my brews of Kombucha. This picture is like 4 months old? She now has like 8 layers that we will re-purpose into Face masks and banana leather to open up some space.
IMG_20170930_100716195.jpg
these are my mains. 1 layer to now PS: I hate using bleached paper towels, prefer to use dry cloth or unbleached. Necessity gets er done
IMG_20180228_202004561.jpg
Above: The layers we plan to Re-purpose.

Below: The experiment is using 8-10 cups of coconut sugar( Honestly just kept adding till it was sufficiently sweet) in over 22 cups of Heung ling Green tea we found at Pacific ocean market (Asian markets have amazing selection of tea and usually are imported- always remember it is worth the expense for the tea even though I have had amazing success with Celestial Seasonings products and even lower grade tea's as well.
IMG_20180228_201621542.jpg

IMG_20180228_202511245.jpg

spilled the tea a little on the towel so had to replace but worth the picture. It was transplanted a week ago but this Scoby is easily 9 weeks old and grown in green tea itself- some of the lower layers are starting to show maturity and we are most likely going to use these specific scoby's for facemask's
* May make a seperate forum for that if any interest is shown.*
because of its green tea heritage in normal all organic cane sugar granulated for slow release into warm tea base Versus the mother that was grown in Oolong tea (red). I am starting to beleive a scobies beginning may just be a factor in its final use after it is retired. Again another experiment for another time perhaps.Cant seem to find any forums on such subjects. I will add onto this forum with any updates or PH changes - taste tests and possible bottling fruits suitable to a coconut sugar's fermented flavor's needs (In my humble personal opinion that is.)

It Ph'd at about 3.2- which is surprising for how well the overall brew is taking to the coconut "sugar"

Thanks for reading, i'm new to this site and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions for new experiments or present experiments.

Flavor update 3/9/18

Finally transferred scoby's- and the flavor is surprisingly less bitter overall compared to organic raw cane raw.. it's so subtle should pair nice with weaker flavored fruits (lychee, plums etc..)
Brewed with coconut sugar 2 weeks and 2 days in full.

Back