A kegging question: What size of CO2 tank should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billymeter

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers,

I am interested in starting kegging, but I'm not really sure what size of a CO2 tank I should get. Do you think a 5lb tank would be adequate for 2 corny kegs? How long does a 5lb tank typically last? Thanks! :mug:

Easy answer: The largest that will fit given your space and budget.

It usually costs nearly the same amount to fill a 5# and 20# tank, and the convenience in not having to fill so often is a bonus.

5# fits in my keggerator with 2 corney kegs. Mine lasts quite a long time as long as I don't have a leak. My friend got a 20# and he just drilled a hole in the side of his and put in some quick disconnect air fittings. Lot's of options.

Eastside

I have a 20 that hides behind my kegerator. The number of kegs you get out of a tank depends on if you naturally carbonate or force carbonate.

Just as a rough estimate (your mileage may vary)

I average about 8 kegs from my 5# tank. (That's carbonating and serving). I still wish I had a bigger tank.

I got abt 7 kegs from my first 5# ..

Exchanged for new one this week (they do not refill) - cost $13.73

most places that swap tank will usually have 20# on stock, the other sizes may vary from time to time.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone, I'll probably pick up a 10 # when i'm ready to dive into the world of kegging. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back