A HLT made of a 5-gallon bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanabeer

Reaction score
This should get me by for awhile. I have a bucket that I am currently drilling holes in the bottom of, which I will then put into my spigotted ale pail to sparge with. Has anybody tried this? I measured the holes in a false bottm when I was at my LHBS and it was 3/32. But it is thicker and it's plastic so I was wondering if I shouldn't go a size or two bigger.

This method will absolutely work and was invented about 30 years ago by the patriarch of homebrewing Charlie Papazian. Coined the Zap-pap lauter tun.

Be informed, there are other cost effective ways to make a better mash tun. Almost any cooler, a length of stainless braid and some tubing will likely work better.

I believe 3/32 is the size you need, problem is you need a thousand or so?? A braid is 5 bucks??

No offense...but this is kinda like wanting to write with a cut feather quill dipped in ink. But I guess that's how they did the Declaration of Independance. Wrap the tun w/ some blankets to maintain heat during the mash and you could probably brew some fine beer.

Good luck and have fun...pretty funny...did you have any idea that you were actually reinventing the wheel.
Mike

Back