A Hefe with 50% wheat DME/ 50% Extra Light DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with mixing wheat DME and extra light DME.

Does anyone think it would noticeably change the taste as a hefe?

I'm primarily asking because I use 6.6lbs of wheat DME for my dunkleweizen and it comes out so dark. I was hoping this would change the color a bit.

I realize that im doomed from the beginning by using DME.

Thanks!

I think Wheat DME is already 50-50 or 60-40 something like that, So Im not sure the color would be any different. Did you add some steeping grains to your dunkel?

i think 55/45....

It depends on the brand. Last weekend I used some Breiss that was 60/40, but I've also seen 65/35 and 55/45.

I generally formulate my hefe recipes to be 50/50 wheat/barley or slightly more wheat, which generally means somewhere in the range of 90% wheat DME and 10% pilsen DME.

Wheat DME is not any darker than Light DME, so no...that wouldn't help. There are lots of ways to improve color and flavor of extract brews, however.

If you have a medium-sized pot in addition to your boiling pot, you can do a small partial mash. Hefeweizens are my favorite beers to make using this method...check out my sig.

Dunkelweizens are supposed to be a little dark, but if it's too dark you may have too many of or the wrong kind of specialty grains. What was your recipe?

EDIT: Oh, and I often use 70% wheat in my all-grain recipes. Wheat is good stuff. Usually at least 60/40. Most extract is between 50/50 to 60/40 blend of wheat/barley.

Back