A Great Grapefruit Recipe help.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need some help from those of you that have a great grapefruit recipe they are willing to share. My wife wants my next brew to be a grapefruit-inspired one but I don't have a recipe to use. I've done a lot of research on here and on the cloud in BeerSmith but I don't know which one to try. If you have one that you've brewed, loved and have or would brew again, and would share, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm looking for all-grain. Size isn't important (that's what she said) because BeerSmith will adjust it if need be. Thanks for all the help!

Tim

I would deifnitely do a grapefruit IPA. Have you tried last years new Grapefruit Sculpin? its amazing, got voted best new release last year somewhere...

anyway, just take you (or someone elses) best IPA recipe, add grapefruit juice in the primary. Easy peesy

The key to grapefruit I believe is in the zest, not the juice. I soaked the zest of four grapefruits in 300 MLs of vodka for a couple weeks, then I strained and added it to the keg. The grapefruit is certainly present in the flavour and aroma but I would probably just dry hop with it next time.

My grapefruit IPA is documented here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=512969

If I was to make it again (and I will!), I'd use this grain bill (~1.071 OG at 75% efficiency):

10# Am. 2-row
1# Victory
1# C40L
0.5# White wheat malt
0.5# Carapils

Alter (and enhance!) the hops bill to (~65-70 IBU):

1oz CTZ (or Mosaic) at 60 min
1oz CTZ (or Mosaic) at 15 min
1oz Simcoe and 1oz Citra (or 2oz Mosaic) at 5min
1oz Cascade, 0.5oz Simcoe, 0.5oz Citra (or 1oz Cascade and 1oz Mosaic) at flameout
1oz Cascade, 0.5oz Simcoe, 0.5oz Citra (or 1oz Cascade and 1oz Mosaic) hopstand
2oz Cascade, 1oz Simcoe, 1oz Citra (or 2oz Cascade and 2oz Mosaic) dry hop

And use the zest and juice from 5 good-sized grapefruits.

(BTW, I find Mosaic to combine all the best qualities of Simcoe and Citra, which is why I think it would be KILLER as the backbone of this recipe)

1oz Cascade, 0.5oz Simcoe, 0.5oz Citra (or 1oz Cascade and 1oz Mosaic) hopstand

And use the zest and juice from 5 good-sized grapefruits.

First of all, thanks for the recipe! When did you add the zest and juice....flameout, primary or secondary?

Also, only because I've never done it before, but what's a hopstand? Is that the same as adding the hops at flameout? Thanks!

Tim

To do a hopstand, cut the flame, toss in the hops, and put the lid on the kettle. Be sure to have you chiller in there too for a few minutes before flameout to sanitize it, but DO NOT turn the chiller on. Wait 30min or longer for the hop compunds to get extracted, then resume chilling as normal

If you really want to grapefruit it up, go heavy on the Cascade. I made a single hopped Cascade IPA, and was surprised how much it tasted like grapefruit.

Back