A good quality thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneticjim

Reaction score
Hello,
There are so many different thermostats out there. I bought on that clips on the side of the pot. It was OK until it got over 100*F then it was about 20* off. I returned it to my LHBS. I asked if I can calibrate it. The guy that works there all the time said idk. Is there a good instant read thermometer that's about $20? Or a good clip on one? I don't have much value in what my local HBS says anymore. Lol

Hello,
There are so many different thermostats out there. I bought on that clips on the side of the pot. It was OK until it got over 100*F then it was about 20* off. I returned it to my LHBS. I asked if I can calibrate it. The guy that works there all the time said idk. Is there a good instant read thermometer that's about $20? Or a good clip on one? I don't have much value in what my local HBS says anymore. Lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021AEAG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have had this model for a long time, and it just flat out works great. Bobby at Brewhardware used to sell this model too (he still may).

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one of these javelins was a bit expensive but extremely accurate and instant read

image.jpeg

I've been using the $9 Taylor for years (link). I'd like to "upgrade" but the thing just won't break. Don't buy a thermometer that you can't calibrate yourself. You'll need to calibrate right away, then repeat periodically.
taylor_themometer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back