a good How-To web-site for LAGER ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I've been brewing ales, like most.
Now I'm targeting a Lager.
I found very little information. the most was just mentions of fermentation temp and lagering temp.

Does any body know a good web page about lager-brewing ?

ohad said:
Does any body know a good web page about lager-brewing ?

Yup, Fermenting Lagers from the Homebrewtalk wiki. Very nicely done. It explains the ins and outs that make lagering different from ale brewing and how to do it successfully.

Chad

Chad said:
Yup, Fermenting Lagers from the Homebrewtalk wiki. Very nicely done. It explains the ins and outs that make lagering different from ale brewing and how to do it successfully.

Chad

I have a problem with any info that tells a homebrewer to pitch lager yeast warm and when signs of fermentation start, lower to fermentation temps.

Do you know of any advise that tells us to also pitch ales at 80f and let cool to 68f for fermentation? If so please enter it so I can learn also.

Thanks for the help!
I'm surprised I haven't found this Wiki from Google....

boo boo said:
I have a problem with any info that tells a homebrewer to pitch lager yeast warm and when signs of fermentation start, lower to fermentation temps.

"To understand that both sides have valid arguments one has to understand where they are coming from. Warm pitching has been introduced by home brewers and yeast manufacturers because it allows for pitching a lager with a smaller pitching rate and leads to a shorter lag time which is less concerning for the first time lager brewer. That's why warm pitching was suggested in the "Your first lager fermentation" section above."
(From wiki link above)

I thought the article did a good job of remaining unbiased and presenting both sides of the debate. I'm not sure why you're upset about our own in-house reference library, but if you don't like the contents of that wiki article, I welcome you to go change it. That's why we use wiki, after all.

boo boo said:
I have a problem with any info that tells a homebrewer to pitch lager yeast warm and when signs of fermentation start, lower to fermentation temps...
I used to wait until the temps dropped, then pitched yeast. Then I tried "the pitch warm, then cool" method after reading about it. Less lag time and I haven't been able to tell a taste difference.

boo boo said:

While I might agree with you, that is exactly what is recommended in many brewing books and other sources. In fact:
Shake yeast well, open cap carefully, add to 5 gallons of aerated wort at 70-75°F. Keep at this temperature until fermentation begins. One vial will usually start fermentation in 5-15 hours. The keys to a quick start are good aeration and temperature over 70°F at all times until fermentation begins.
from the instructions on a vial of White Labs WLP830 German Lager yeast
That's not how I plan on using this yeast, but there ya go. I'm going to do the modified Narziss fermentation recommended in Brewing Classic Styles, where you pitch into very cold wort (44°F or so) and allow the beer to rise to fermentation temps over a couple of days.

Chad

I think you've found one right here at HBT. Do a little searching, there's plenty of info. Also, check out our wiki.

I bought the How to Brew Book by Palmer before getting my membership to this website. What a waste of money that book was. The Wiki alone on HBT is mountains of information!!!

Thanks all for this resource!!

Back