A german guy walks into the bar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avibayer

Reaction score
I was hanging out at a bar in NYC waiting for my date to arrive, and enjoying a brooklyn lager. While i'm there, a german fellow comes to the bar to order another round of beers for him and his friends. On tap was brooklyn lager, brooklyn winter, magic hat #9, stela, guiness, and sixpoint sweet action. He orders the stela and goes on about how aweful american beer is, light and flavorless.

I thought about suggesting he at least taste what was on tap, but my date arrived, and i forgot.

It's tradition to bash American beer overseas. I swear if I ever get to Germany I'll be trying out all of the lesser-known breweries beer, just like I do here. I'm sure they must have a few unique and interesting beers to try. He's probably no different than MANY of the American beer drinkers who are not interested in trying something new.

What I find amazing is that, from what I hear, Stella is crap beer to most people over there... And that's what he chose??

That was really what tickled me about the whole interaction. He was ordering light lagers, and complaining about light lagers.

which reminds me...Are there any German ales? I have been to a few german beer halls, and it seems like they are all lagers, with an occasional whit. I enjoy octoberfest, but they are still lagers.

Our Au-Pair was German. Her parents came for a visit, they stopped at the grocery store on the way from the airport to get a 12 pack of Bud Light.

That was really what tickled me about the whole interaction. He was ordering light lagers, and complaining about light lagers.

which reminds me...Are there any German ales? I have been to a few german beer halls, and it seems like they are all lagers, with an occasional whit. I enjoy octoberfest, but they are still lagers.

Hefeweizens and altbiers, for two.

Our Au-Pair was German. Her parents came for a visit, they stopped at the grocery store on the way from the airport to get a 12 pack of Bud Light.

We had one of our German Techs come over fora couple weeks. I was excited to talk beer and learn about the local gems. He doesn't like Beer, He's a wine guy :drunk: Stereotypes.

Gunter: He stole it und now instead of Deutschland's greatest beer we merely have fourth best behind Steinemarzen, Rottenburger, und... und...
Otto: Und Beck's?
Gunter: Und Beck's? Ja und Beck's!

Great movie!

Sat next to a German guy at our homebrewer's meeting last night at New Holland Brewing company. He was amazed at IPA's and browns with chocolate malt, admitting, "There's nothing like these in Germany."

Nice guy, seemed glad to experience our beer and fellowship, and he said nothing derogatory about the USA (like a lot of European visitors do).

In one of the brewing TV episodes (where they talk to Fred Eckhardt), Fred says that a lot of Europeans drink Bud because they think it is "American." I got the impression that he was saying the Europeans hear how good the beer is in America and how diverse it is, so when they see a Bud from "america" they drink that. Who knows, at least we have good beer to drink

I was recently stuck in training for a month with a couple of guys from Germany. We hit most of the brew pubs and a small brewery in Minneapolis. One guy complained constantly about the beer. When he left he gave me his favorite beer from Germany a Bit Burger, I asked him if this was all that he drank there, it was. The other guy enjoyed some of the micro especially the hefes.

We had a German consultant come into work. Me & the guy that taught me to brew took him over to our local watering hole, a restaurant serving German food beer-hall style with 25 or so taps and 400+ beers in bottles. The guy's eyes light up like a kid at Christmas.

He freaks out (in a good way) because they have Kristalweisse on tap and he's NEVER seen it outside of Germany. He starts talking about beer and mentions Dusseldorf. I ask him if he likes AltBier and he freaks out again because he's surprised I know AltBier is from there. He then asks me, Jeopardy-style, if I know what beer is from Cologne. I say "Kolsch of course!"

Yep, we definitely disproved the American beer stereotypes that night!

Back