A few Saison questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarendon

Reaction score
Hi all,

Noob here. My first batch is in my secondary right now and despite my best efforts to mess it up its coming along nicely. I've been reading the boards pretty religiously over the past couple of days trying to educate myself.

Next up for me is a Saison extract kit I ordered from Northern Brewer. I'm a little confused on a few things that maybe you guys could help me out with.

1) I'm using the Wyeast 3522 the kit recommended. Do I need to create a starter? Or will the smack pack be enough?

2) From what I've read about Saisons they should ferment at higher temps. Should I start low and ramp up or vice versa? Should I change the temp based on the gravity?

3) How much warmer will the temp inside my carboy be compared to ambient?

4) The fermentation is supposed to be pretty violent with the Saisons, I imagine a blow off tube would be necessary?

Thanks!

that's the La Chouffe yeast, isn't it?

what's your targeted OG? I would definitely make a starter unless it's reallly low (and even then you'd probably be better off making one if you have the supplies to do so)

I'd pitch it somewhere around 70 or so and let it warm up to near 80 (I like to brew saisons in the summer)

it's hard to predict exactly how much warmer the inside of your carboy will be compared to ambient, it can range from a couple of degrees to over 10. I've known people who brew saisons in an ambient air temp of 80 or so with really good sucess though..

I'd definitely use a blow off tube until things have clearly slowed and the danger is past. that yeast in particular is a monster.

I believe it is the La Chouffe.

The OG is listed at 1.056 so not super high.

Should I use some of the LME in the kit to make to starter and pitch the whole thing or go out and grab some from my LHBS?

Go out and grab a pack of DME from your LHBS... Get a decent sized bag and you'll be able to make a few starters out of it. Try not to "steal" any from the kit in order to make the starter. Plus, you'll want to make the starter 1-2 days in advance anyways...

assuming this is a 5 gallon batch, mrmalty recommends you use a 2 liter simple starter (or 2 vials/packs)

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

I'd go get some DME and use that for the starter, it's handy stuff to have on hand.

Back