A few quick mead questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
If you want to add fruit to mead, do you add it in the primary or secondary? And if it’s the secondary, is it supposed to be racked on top and left for the entire duration?

Do you need a blow-off tube for primary?

Is there some mead that finishes up and become drinkable faster then others? I know the entire deal with mead is patience and I can do that, but I was just curious.

Why is there no sticky on mead basics, equipment and brewing techniques! I hate asking newb questions and my search didn’t bring much up to help me.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

1. you can add fruit at either step, but you retain more of the fruit character if you add it to the secondary. Most of the time, you would leave it until you achieve the fruit flavor level that you are looking for, then you rack to another and let clear. Pectic Enzyme is your friend!
2. No. Not Normally.
3. the less honey you add (and thusly lower alcohol level) the faster it will be drinkable. Also sweeter mead becomes drinkable earlier than dry.
4. No Sticky because....Well.....because......Um.....I don't know. Nobody has written one yet. Malkor....Maybe?

1. you can add fruit at either step, but you retain more of the fruit character if you add it to the secondary. Most of the time, you would leave it until you achieve the fruit flavor level that you are looking for, then you rack to another and let clear. Pectic Enzyme is your friend!
2. No. Not Normally.
3. the less honey you add (and thusly lower alcohol level) the faster it will be drinkable. Also sweeter mead becomes drinkable earlier than dry.
4. No Sticky because....Well.....because......Um.....I don't know. Nobody has written one yet. Malkor....Maybe?

Thanks a lot Big Kahuna! I appreciate the response. I do like "Sweeter" meads, does this mean when you shoot for a sweater mead there is a "ripe" time to drink it or it becomes dry?

No, if you make a sweet mead, and it is sweet when fermentation is complete, it will not dry out. A good easy sweet mead to experiment with is JAOM. Make a batch and before that is done start another with a different fruit or no fruit at all, that's what I did and its great. You may want to search for Malkore's version of JAOM, because bread yeast is a pain in the ass to brew with in my mind.

No, if you make a sweet mead, and it is sweet when fermentation is complete, it will not dry out. A good easy sweet mead to experiment with is JAOM. Make a batch and before that is done start another with a different fruit or no fruit at all, that's what I did and its great. You may want to search for Malkore's version of JAOM, because bread yeast is a pain in the ass to brew with in my mind.

Ok cool, thats good to know. JAOM? I am going to google this, not sure what that means.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: found it - Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, and I book marked Malkores post! Thanks

If anyone could answer this I would appreciate it. Would it be ok to make a 2 gallon batch of mead in a 6 gallon carboy? It seems silly to pay the same for a 3 gallon one when I could get a BB version for the same price!

Tons of head space though, but I didn't think It would matter!

Also, on Malkors version he is using 5lbs of honey for a 3 gallon batch, how much water will I need?

If anyone could answer this I would appreciate it. Would it be ok to make a 2 gallon batch of mead in a 6 gallon carboy? It seems silly to pay the same for a 3 gallon one when I could get a BB version for the same price!

Tons of head space though, but I didn't think It would matter!

Also, on Malkors version he is using 5lbs of honey for a 3 gallon batch, how much water will I need?

You could use the 6-gallon carboy as a primary but mead isn't like beer and needs to be topped up in the secondary. It would be better to use a small plastic pail (usually free, or a dollar or so from a bakery or deli or 4-5 bucks at a Home Depot) with cheesecloth secured with a rubberband for a lid for a primary and two one gallon glass jugs ($10 for a gallon of Gallo and you get to drink the wine) for secondaries.

At about 2.2 or so pounds per quart, five pounds of honey is a little more than two quarts (and a little light for three gallons of mead, if you ask me - I didn't see the recipe so it might be ok if there's an addition of fruit or juice or something) so you'd need about 2.5 gallons of water to make 3 gallons.

I'd read a lot more about mead making before I jump in though. You need to learn about yeast hydration, nutrients, aeration, yeast selection, gravity and sugar breaks and so much more. There's plenty of places where you can learn the basics. Try gotmead.com.

You could use the 6-gallon carboy as a primary but mead isn't like beer and needs to be topped up in the secondary. It would be better to use a small plastic pail (usually free, or a dollar or so from a bakery or deli or 4-5 bucks at a Home Depot) with cheesecloth secured with a rubberband for a lid for a primary and two one gallon glass jugs ($10 for a gallon of Gallo and you get to drink the wine) for secondaries.

At about 2.2 or so pounds per quart, five pounds of honey is a little more than two quarts (and a little light for three gallons of mead, if you ask me - I didn't see the recipe so it might be ok if there's an addition of fruit or juice or something) so you'd need about 2.5 gallons of water to make 3 gallons.

I'd read a lot more about mead making before I jump in though. You need to learn about yeast hydration, nutrients, aeration, yeast selection, gravity and sugar breaks and so much more. There's plenty of places where you can learn the basics. Try gotmead.com.

Recipe link : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50201&highlight=JAOM

Ok I got ya, so top off the secondarys then do what, seal them somehow?

I suppose you gotta share and drink each entire gallon once opened in a sitting, unlike something with a higher ABV content? I was hoping to divide them into 12 ouncers or a few bombers, but wasnt sure if they could be capped like a normal bottle or I need to cork them. *shrug*

OK - I see what Malkor's doing - he's altering an AO. I've made at least 15 gallons of this stuff (I've never altered the original recipe by changing the yeast) and it's usually the most popular thing in the room. I can't testify as to the quality of Malkor's recipe but the original is quick and easy.

No, you don't need to drink a gallon in one sitting. You're going to have to get the mead off the very, very fine lees. It doesn't take much to totally get a crystal clear AO mead completely cloudy again so racking is a must.

Have you actuall seen the original recipe? Try this.

If this is what you're making, you can do everything in a gallon jug. You'll need a drilled rubber stopper with a bubble lock and, when it's time to bottle, at least a 3-foot length of plastic tubing. You can absolutely bottle in 12 oz crown caps, wine bottles, plastic bottles, or whatever is handy because I doubt it'll stay around long. I do several crown caps for each batch of mead I make for tasting purposes as the mead ages.

my ears were burning...now i know why!

I think a 5lb jug of honey is about 1 quart or so.

you can def do a small batch in a larger fermenter, until you hit secondary. then you really wanna reduce headspace as much as possible. or be REALLY careful about not splashing it...treat it like a baby, and only secondary long enough for it to clear, then bottle it to further reduce oxidation risks.

I only alter'd Joe's original recipe because - 1. bread yeast just sucks for brewing and 2. a lot of people complained about a pithy flavor from the whole oranges
so i went with a clean fermenting sweet mead yeast that has the same attenuation properties as bread yeast (based on my experiences using bread yeast in meads), and switched to orange zest and the juices, rather than the entire orange.

Thanks for chiming in Malkore! If you have time would you mind clearing up a few remaining questions I had on this?

1. Can I use AHB "sweet traditional mead pack" instead of just fermax nutrient it includes, fermax, acid blend, tannin?

2. How much juice did you add, and I am guessing it was fresh squeezed orange variety?

Thanks! :)

Recipe link : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50201&highlight=JAOM

Ok I got ya, so top off the secondarys then do what, seal them somehow?

I suppose you gotta share and drink each entire gallon once opened in a sitting, unlike something with a higher ABV content? I was hoping to divide them into 12 ouncers or a few bombers, but wasnt sure if they could be capped like a normal bottle or I need to cork them. *shrug*

When you transfer to the gallon jugs, you seal them with a stopper and airlock. Leave them condition/age for a few months then use a bottling wand and siphon to transfer the mead to what ever bottles you desire. I usually use beer bottles and cap them like I do beer. You can also use wine bottles or any other bottle with a seal that is not O2 permeriable. I wouldn't suggest plastic.

I've not done JOAM but I did do the quick concord pymet (grape mead). I didn't care for it early one but at 9 months it is really starting to get good.

Craig

Thanks for chiming in Malkore! If you have time would you mind clearing up a few remaining questions I had on this?

1. Can I use AHB "sweet traditional mead pack" instead of just fermax nutrient it includes, fermax, acid blend, tannin?

ehh, I rarely add any tannin or acid blend to my meads. you can if you want, but I'd taste it first. never used fermax either, just nutrient and energizer as separate ingredients...so I cannot comment on fermax

2. How much juice did you add, and I am guessing it was fresh squeezed orange variety?
It was the juice of the orange I zested... so not a ton. I'm relying more on the zest to produce the orange flavors. orange juice tends to lose its orange flavor as the sugar content decreases, and it can be downright disgusting when it ferments (leave a big glass of OJ in a warmish kitchen for a week...)

answers in bold..

TYVM Malkore!

I went ahead and ordered everything, I did get the sweet traditional mead pack. I wonder if it comes in seperate parts, or if its all mixed together. If it is I might drop the tannin.

Why did you use any juice from the orange btw with its such bad habits of turning nasty?

for the nutrients in it. a little bit won't hurt...a few tablespoons in 5 gallons.

people have tried to make grapefruit mead and say it smells like vomit and thus can't even be drank to be tasted.

for the nutrients in it. a little bit won't hurt...a few tablespoons in 5 gallons.

people have tried to make grapefruit mead and say it smells like vomit and thus can't even be drank to be tasted.

Ugh, well I'm skipping out on the orange juice then. Just the zest will be enough for me.

Thanks for the help!

So what, you're gonna study the theory of balance and the physics of inertia before you learn how to ride a bike? :cool:

Honey+Water+Yeast+Time=Mead. The rest is just details. :tank:

I'll let you know how it goes after I make my first Mead. Wish me luck. :drunk:

Ok here it is, made it up this past weekend. I didn't have any cinnamon sticks so I wasn't going to add any. But then at the last minute I was like screw it and used powdered... Don't know whats going to happen but not going to fret over it. I added 1 tsp then stirred and let sit for 15 minutes at 160'F. I was thinking if it doesn't settle out I would "filter" it when it goes into secondary.

2mmfhxl.jpg

So what, you're gonna study the theory of balance and the physics of inertia before you learn how to ride a bike? :cool:

Honey+Water+Yeast+Time=Mead. The rest is just details. :tank:

I'll let you know how it goes after I make my first Mead. Wish me luck. :drunk:

Good luck on your first mead. Yes, your formula will produce a vaguely meadlike liquid but whether it will produce something of value is another question. As you say, time is the key and a little reading on basic procedures and taking advantage of the lessons learned from centuries of meadmaking only makes sense to me. It's those details that make the difference between a delicious and drinkable product or a few bottles of marinade. You'll know in a year or so.

my first mead as a jug of apple juice, bread yeast, and honey. no airlock. stuffed in teh corner of my closet.

i had to vent it 5 times a day to keep it from exploding. pretty dumb.

it ended up tasting like apple flavored Zippo fluid...and we drank it all!

gotta crawl before you can walk. Ken Schramm's book is a great resource if you decide to expand your knowledge. www.gotmead.com is decent too.

I made a 5 gallon batch of prickly pear mead about a month ago. It had a long slow primary fermentation. I will be racking to secondary tonite and add the other 1/2 gallon of prickly pear juice. I used charlie papizan's recipe except cut the 20 lbs of honey to 11 lbs and doubled the prickly pear. hoping to try some around christmas

Back