a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbulger

Reaction score
I brewed my second beer (brown ale) last saturday night ( after cooling the wort and drinking beers it was in the primary around 3 or 4 sunday morning). i have time this friday to brew my next beer (porter) but need the primary bucket to do so. Will it be okay to rack to the secondary on friday (a little less then six days) in order to get the primary freed up, or should i wait a little bit longer.

the next kit i have has specialty grains and it comes wiht a muslin bag to steep them in. the previous kits i had came with amuslin bag for the aroma hops, should i try and reuse the muslin bag for the aroma hops? if not should i get a strainer? or is it okay to let the bittering and aroma hops to stay in the primary.

My first beer is in the bottles in my closet and i checked the temperature in there today and its around 60 degrees, is that too low for conditioning should i move them to a warmer spot.

Sorry i know these have been adressed elsewhere on this board, just have not been able to keep up with all the posts.

tbulger said:
I brewed my second beer (brown ale) last saturday night ( after cooling the wort and drinking beers it was in the primary around 3 or 4 sunday morning). i have time this friday to brew my next beer (porter) but need the primary bucket to do so. Will it be okay to rack to the secondary on friday (a little less then six days) in order to get the primary freed up, or should i wait a little bit longer.

the next kit i have has specialty grains and it comes wiht a muslin bag to steep them in. the previous kits i had came with amuslin bag for the aroma hops, should i try and reuse the muslin bag for the aroma hops? if not should i get a strainer? or is it okay to let the bittering and aroma hops to stay in the primary.

My first beer is in the bottles in my closet and i checked the temperature in there today and its around 60 degrees, is that too low for conditioning should i move them to a warmer spot.

Sorry i know these have been adressed elsewhere on this board, just have not been able to keep up with all the posts.

1. One week in the primary is good enough. Most on here recommend the 1,2,3 method (one week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottle conditioning)

2. Don't resuse the bag. Either buy a second (my recommendation) for <$1, or just throw your hops in and let the ones that fall into your primary with your wort stay there. When you rack to your secondary keep them out with a good whirpool and care. If some get into your secondary...no biggie either.

3. That is pretty cool for ales. Try to get it around 65+ (70 preferable) to get carbonated. After 3 weeks in bottles, go ahead and chill them in fridge or cooler closet. But then...I can never wait three weeks to crack one open, so after a week put one in the fridge over night and taste....Good Luck!!

Oh yea....and check this free online read out...www.howtobrew.com

Back