A few questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
#1 My sons father in law has had a sanke keg laying along side his lane for a few years. No one knows where it came from or who it belonged to. He gave it to me today and I have a metal fab shop less than a mile from my house. The owner of the shop likes me and the weird projects I bring him. ANYWAY he cut the top out for me this afternoon and said if I told him what size ball valve I wanted he would weld a fiting on for me..SOO what size do I need, and how high up the side do I need it??
#2 while I was there he said he had a big stainless steel tank that I could have if I wanted it..It is some sort of pressure tank with valves etc attached to the top. The catch is we have no clue what was in it....due to it being stainless, as long as I thoroughly clean it and sanitize it, I should be ok right? ( looks to be about 10 gallons).....

#3 He also has a big stainless steel tub ( no cover) with a drain on one end out the bottom ( big sink with a regular sink drain) he priced it to me but I don't know if there is any use for it in brewing.

#4 and last.....How do I know how much wort to start out with to end up at 5 or 10 gallons to go to the fermentor? Or do you just boil till you get there?

#2. i would be a little skittish about using it. who knows what was in it before you got it. it is possible that whatever it was wont come off in cleaning but will when soaking in slightly acidic beer.

#2. i would be a little skittish about using it. who knows what was in it before you got it. it is possible that whatever it was wont come off in cleaning but will when soaking in slightly acidic beer.

makes sense...although it smelled like stagnant water.

Back