a few questions before starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestbrewer

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to try my first brew, and I had a few questions. I have a Brewer's Best Deluxe starter kit, and I'm brewing an amber ale from an ingredient kit that has all my ingredients in it.

1. I've been reading about Irish moss for clarity and gypsum to fine tune the water. Will adding these to my recipe make a noticeable difference in my beer?

2. How much more difficult is the process when you do a secondary fermentation? I want my beer to be good, but I also want to reduce steps that may ruin my batch because I don't do them right?

3. Any other tips or rookie mistakes to avoid?

Thanks.

I'm getting ready to try my first brew, and I had a few questions. I have a Brewer's Best Deluxe starter kit, and I'm brewing an amber ale from an ingredient kit that has all my ingredients in it.

1. I've been reading about Irish moss for clarity and gypsum to fine tune the water. Will adding these to my recipe make a noticeable difference in my beer?

2. How much more difficult is the process when you do a secondary fermentation? I want my beer to be good, but I also want to reduce steps that may ruin my batch because I don't do them right?

3. Any other tips or rookie mistakes to avoid?

Thanks.

1. I always use irish moss or a Whirlfloc tablet. If you have it handy, use it. If not, no worries. Pick some up next time your at the LHBS.

2. Most people don't use a secondary at all, including myself most of the time. Just keep it in the primary for about ~3 weeks and let the yeast finish up the job. At that point transfer to the keg or bottle.

3. Just plan everything out and make you don't forget any steps. Once you get a batch under your belt you'll realize how easy it is to make good beer.

1. Irish moss is good for clarity. It does not affect flavor. Gypsum is unnecessary with extract batches (in my opinion).

2. Secondary is unnecessary unless you are adding fruit, oak, etc. to the beer.

3. Be patient.

Irish moss will help with the clarity as noted before and so will using a secondary.

doing a secondary is as difficult as siphoning beer(buy an autosiphon and it's even easier). There isn't actually any "fermenting" going on in the secondary, once you are done fermenting in primary(use hydrometer to determine when it's done), you just siphon, aka Rack, it into the secondary container and let it sit. Usually people secondary to let the beer clear more, if you are dry hopping you would usually add into secondary(though some dry hop in primary too), or if you are brewing a beer that needs extended aging you would usually age in secondary.

For your first few batches you could probably skip the secondary all together unless you are aging a stout, barley wine, etc... or are making something that involves dry hopping.

No water chemestry changes required for extract batches. Only required to adjust chemistry in the mash. However, if you have a lot of chlorine in your water it would be a good idea to filter it.

Wouldnt do a secondary for the beer your making. As most said up there it is only required for aging super high gravity beers more than 3 weeks or so or if superior clarity is desired ( no reason to bother for first batch ) just another additional step that allows bacteria and mold to get at the delicousness.

When it comes to extract brewing, you just want to make sure the water tastes good... I use brewers salts, but that's because I have a water softener and use reverse osmosis... and it's a personal preference... you don't really need to do anything to this water as long as it doesn't have bad odors or tastes... Water to Brew Beer

Moving your beer to a secondary fermenter is unnecessary unless you are dry hopping or adding fruit... I doubt you are dry hopping an amber ale (although you can)...

I personally think that going with a secondary is well worth the time and effort. It will make your beer look better (clearer) and taste better. Beer as in any effort in the kitchen, presentation makes a difference. If the beer looks cloudy that will effect how it's judged by others. And trub and dead yeast in a cloudy beer just isn't that great tasting.

If you sanitize as you should using a secondary should in no way increase the odds of infection. If you don't use proper sanitation you'll get an infection in the primary or bottle.

Can it be done without a secondary, sure, will it be as good as it could have been, more than likely, no it won't.

So it's up to you do you want to make the best beer possible or do you just want to make something with alcohol in it. There is plenty of nasty beer on the market and lots of good beer too. Why go to all the trouble just to make something that's not bad when the aim should be to make something good?

Here's a question to ask yourself. When I cook out do I want the cheapest piece of meat I can find or do I want the best cut I can afford?

1. If your water tastes OK it's more than likely fine for brewing. Use Irish Moss when you go All Grain no need for it with a kit or when brewing using an extract.

3. Relax Don't Worry Have a Home Brew (RDWHaHB)

The advice is good so far but I'll add my own $.02

1) Don't use a secondary, just leave in primary for 3 weeks.
2) Keep your fermentation temps down to 65F-68F.

To keep your fermentation temps down search for 'swamp cooler' on this site. I used a large enough container to put my bucket of wort in it, filled with water and used ice (frozen bottles too) to keep the temps down, works great and is simple. I think keeping temps down is often overlooked, this can make a major difference and is simple to do. :mug:

I'm also just prepping for my first batch (I have yet to purchase the required equipment though), so these responses are very much appreciated!

Back