a few questions about my latest batch....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEcted1

Reaction score
Okay just did another batch today (Imperial Stout)... but I had a couple things happen.

Here we go.

I used English Ale Wyeast because it came with the recipe from the brew store. I noticed that on the back of the package it says "This yeast is not meant for beer above 1.065 OG" My OG turned out to be 1.085 (exactly what the recipe said it should be) Did they give me the wrong yeast? should I pitch another one?

Second, I accidently let the malt steep a bit too long. I know i'm supposed to steep until it's at a near boil, but when I got to it, it was starting to boil. I removed it immediately. Is this going to cause an unpleasant bitterness because of the tannins in the grains?

Finally (and my biggest fear on this batch) After I poured in the wort I looked at the bottom of my brew kettle and there were some pretty good sized burns. I used two kettles because all I have right now is a 16 qt and a 12 qt so I split the wort evenly between the kettles. One had the burns and the other one was perfectly fine (that probably means the specialty grains burnt... uh oh). How bad is this? I am hoping that it wont be too bad because it was only in 1/2 the wort, but i'm not sure what this is going to cause.

Thanks again! (perhaps I could augment the unpleasant bitterness by throwing in some coffee =)

They didn't give you the wrong yeast. It's recommended that for higher gravity beers to make a starter first. If primary fermentation doesn't bring the gravity down to where it should be, you may need to pitch more yeast.

I'm going to guess that the kit you got was mostly extract with some specialty grain. If that's the case, I wouldn't be too worried. It's not advised to boil the grains, but if it was for only a short period of time you should be fine.

The burnt area at the bottom of the pot. Was it just color on the pot or was there charred wort? I don't think you have too much of a problem. One of my first batches I didn't stir the liquid extract completely and some of it burned on the bottom of the pot. There were black flakes swirling around the pot! :eek: They setteled out and the beer turned out fine. Being an imperial stout, there is going to be some roastinesss from the grain anyway, I don't think you have much of a problem. Just small things to remember for next time. Relax and have a homebrew.

MrEcted1 said:
Thanks again! (perhaps I could augment the unpleasant bitterness by throwing in some coffee =)
Me personally, I hate coffee. Black, with cream and sugar, or put into anything like mocha ice cream. To me coffee is unpleasant bitterness. :D

Maestro Brewsmith said:
Me personally, I hate coffee. Black, with cream and sugar, or put into anything like mocha ice cream. To me coffee is unpleasant bitterness. :D

I LOVE black coffee =) Coffee stout is one of my favs, but that's just me.

I don't know what it is about the bitterness of coffee that I don't like. I just know that I don't like it;). I love beer, including stouts and porters that often have coffee-like flavors just fine. It's just the coffee itself. If they could make it taste the way it smells, that would be another story.

Maestro Brewsmith said:
They didn't give you the wrong yeast. It's recommended that for higher gravity beers to make a starter first. If primary fermentation doesn't bring the gravity down to where it should be, you may need to pitch more yeast.

Is there a point where it's too late to pitch more yeast? say the primary doesn't ferment too well and it's been a week, then it would be safe to pitch more yeast and aerate again? or would it be better to make a starter and just throw it in the fermentor?

Thanks

Back