A few newbie questions :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MastahMan

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to this forum right down from santiago, chile relaxing and having a homebrew.

for starters i made all my instalations in equipment about 2 weeks ago and had a first homebre, which was a total failure hahaha....:tank: so had a few drinks to make the sadness go away. but now i'm coming reloaded and had a few questions on how to move on.

1) i bought charles papazian book; the homebrewers companion and read it thoroughly, though there was something that called my attention, on the book it is said to place the airlock on the fermenter after transfering the wort to the fermenter and 12-24 hours later pour the water in the airlock, so that the wort can get oxygen, is this a correct statement? since i have read different stories elsewhere.

2) for bottling i got disposable bottles that are from a beer that is produced in here which are made of plastic, taking the obvious precautions on letting the fermentation end, which are the risks of having this bottles explode from the carbonatation process?..

fresh out of idead right now... so i guess that would be it, again i would appreciate any help concerning these 2 topics...

greetings to everyone

peace! :ban:

1. that doesn't get oxygen into the wort. you need to bubble oxygen into the wort, or stir it a lot, shake it...this puts oxygen in there.

2. plastic doesn't tend to explode since its flexible unlike glass. its also harder to get clean and sanitary, and how are you going to re-cap these plastic bottles not meant to be re-used?

hey malkore, thx for answering my noob post :)

you would recommend me to stir the wort after i transfer it inside the fermenter and then place the airlock with clean water in it?

also, using the same "screw in" caps that the bottle came with, would not be effective, even if i sanitized them?? you would recommend me to go straight with glass bottles? (though the plastic ones would go easier

Back