A few kit Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
I have 3 kits I plan on brewing, but I only have 2 primaries and one secondary right now. My hope is that I can brew 2, and in 2 weeks or so, bottle one and secondary the other. Then brew the 3rd kit. I really don't want to buy any more fermenters yet..

Here is what I'll have to choose from...

Williams Watermelon Ale - Wheat Beer
Williams Belgian Blonde
Brewers Best Kolsch

My thought was to do the Watermelon Ale and since its a wheat, bottle it in 2 weeks. Brew the blonde and use my secondary. Then brew the Kolsch. After 2 weeks, bottle the blonde and secondary the Kolsch. I plan on leaving the Kolsch in the secondary for a few extra weeks, so thats why I wanted to leave that for last.

Am I on the right track?

I would brew 2 of them(in the primaries) and in 7-10 days rack one of them to the secondary then brew your next batch in the primary you just emptied. If you really wanted to you could brew them all at the same time and use a blow off on the secondary. I'm guessing 6.5 gallon primary and 5 gallon secondary?

Given your equipment, I think you are on the right track. One thing you might think about is to leave your Blonde in the primary a few extra days and shortening the secondary time so you can get the Kolsch in there when it is ready.

Good luck! I would be interested in hearing how the kits turn out. I have used Brewer's Best, but would love to hear more about Williams.

I'd make the wheat the beer that goes from primary to bottles. Then either one of the others can go to secondary to free up a primary.

Thanks guys... My one primary is an ale pale 6.5 gal, and I just got a 6 gal better bottle. My secondary is a 5 gal glass carboy.

I have a Williams Triple in primary now.. I'll get a sample of it this weekend as its going into my secondary. The kit included Wyeast liquid and I believe the other 2 Williams kits I'm getting are also liquid yeast. Williams doesn't come with caps either. The instructions that come with the Williams would make good TP. The Brewers Best instructions are much easier to read. The Brewers Best kits I've done have all come with Notty dry yeast, and I think thats what is in my Kolsch.

I'm trying to get my brewing habits ahead of my drinking habits. I normally don't plan on brewing soo much at a time, but with summer coming, I wanted to get a few batches ready.

Back