A few kegging questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Is there a book that tells one all they need to know about kegging?

Is there a limit to the type of homebrew beer that you can keg? ie. high gravity beers that require more aging.

Is there any difference in the beer when primed vs. forced carbonation?

If you are doing a high gravity beer that requires aging can you prime and keg it and then set it aside like you do with bottles or would you force carb it and then just leave it alone for awhile?

I'm sick of bottling and I've got my kegging system now with an old fridge I bought but the only problem is I don't know what I'm doing.:tank: :drunk:

Thanks
Al

You don't "NEED" to carb it if you're going to let it warm condition but it doesn't hurt either. When I purge with CO2, I hit it with 40 PSI and then take it off the gas. In practice, it will probably only add like .5 volumes but it's that much closer when you finally want to fully carb it.

abracadabra said:
4. No need to force carbonate until after the beer has properly conditioned.

So I can keg my beer and purge the O2 and put it under pressure and then store at room temp? If so, what pressure? Would it be better stored cold?

Thanks
Al

How long does beer last in a forced carb keg? util the keg is empty?

I'm getting about ready to get rid of all my empty bottles too :)

Bobby_M said:
It lasts at least as long as it would have in bottles, maybe more because you don't intoduce any oxygen like you do when you bottle.

nice, I'm not exactly a fast drinker, and wanted to make sure I wouldn't be dumping out kegs every 5 months or something. I've had bottles from one of my batches around for about 4 months and they still tasted good.

I did expect that they lasted as long, especially if they are force carbed.

Oh oh, just had another thought, how about bottling after kegging. I've heard about people bottling from a keg, is that accurate?

Back