A Few Keezer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IncredibleMulk

Reaction score
I've converted a fridge into a 4 tap kegerator and love it. Never did a ton of research into keezers but always thought they were pretty cool. A friend of mine asked me to help him build one and I've been working on the design and doing research and have a couple of questions I was hoping some of you guys could help me out with.

First, the chest freezer is large enough to hold 6 kegs (the number we want) with plenty of headroom and just using the compressor ledge for the co2/storage. Is there any reason other than headroom that we would need a collar? We are planning to use towers attached to the top of the chest freezer, which based on the research I've done is just metal, insulation and plastic, no lines. The collar just seems like extra work unless I'm missing something.

Regarding the towers, do we have to consider cold air circulation into them or should they stay cold enough?

Any other best practices or words of wisdom as I embark on this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Collars are convenient for mounting the gas manifold, but otherwise not really necessary for a tower or coffin box setup. Mine has no collar.

Some people find they need air circulation in the tower to prevent foaming from temperature stratification. I opted for this in my keezer. However I've used someone else's chest freezer/tower keezer before with no fans and it seemed to dispense just fine. YMMV.

Thanks for the response hunter_la5. That's kind of what I was thinking. Out of curiosity, where/how did you mount your manifold?

IncredibleMulk said:
Thanks for the response hunter_la5. That's kind of what I was thinking. Out of curiosity, where/how did you mount your manifold?

I literally just nailed it to a piece of 1"x4" that I have wedged upright in between two kegs. In reality it doesn't have to even be mounted to anything, but this way I have easy access to it and it helps keep it from getting tangled up in the mess of beer lines I have snaking all over the place.

Back