A different Crystal Malt question (flavor)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landis

Reaction score
To start this one off I'm an extract brewer with specialty grains. Some day all grain might be nice, but I'm making some good extract brews so I'm going to stick with trying to make the best brews I can.

Anyway, my question is about the Crystal Malts. Do the different variants (10L - 120L) have different flavor profiles or is it strictly color? From John Palmers book he says that 10-15L usually has a slightly higher malt yield. I asked someone at the LHBS and he said that he thought the taste of the 60L was more bitter than the rest for some reason, and 40L and 80L were just a little sweeter. I've also heard that the higher range (120L) tends to have more of a caramel/toffee taste.

All this to be said - I'm working on perfecting a simple house pale ale and I'm trying to get the best combination of malts. My first batch was with Crystal 60, and my second was with crystal 40. The 40L batch is still fermenting now, but I was just wondering if its worth trying 10 and 20 or if there really is no flavor difference, just color.

Thanks.

Yes they do contribute different flavors and colors. Try this next time split your crystals up say 75% of one type and 25% of another for your total crystal bill. Like .5lb 40L and .25lb of 120L

They do have a different flavor. The lighter crystals will be sweeter while the darker crystals have been "burnt" more and provide raisin, plum, or fig notes.

There is a big difference between the flavors of 10L and 120L. Between 10L and 20L not so much to my pallet.

Thanks for all of the advice, and that All About Grains cheat sheet is a wonderful resource. I think I will try the batch again with 10-20L instead of the 40L like last time and see what type of changes that has on the finished beer.

Thanks for all of the advice, and that All About Grains cheat sheet is a wonderful resource. I think I will try the batch again with 10-20L instead of the 40L like last time and see what type of changes that has on the finished beer.

That's a good way to learn what different grains taste like and a lot of fun in the meantime. :tank:

As a general rule, lighter crystals (10L-20L) basically provide sweetness. Medium crystals (40L-60L) get into some types of caramel flavors, while darker (90L-120L and into Special B) get more toffee-like at the lower end and more bittersweet/dark fruit/raisen-ey, etc. I tend to like light and medium crystals in pale ales (in strict moderation) and darker crystals in some darker beers where I want a deeper malt complexity.

Quick update - I picked up some Crystal 15L (lowest they had at the LHBS) to try the recipe again.

Brew went well last night, so we'll see how the flavor differs from the Crystal 40 in about 6 weeks when these beers are ready to drink.

Back