Quantcast

A couple questions

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Beer_Me

Reaction score
I just bought a brew kit, went to the store to pick up a malt extract, dried malt extract, hops and yeast.

Walk in and see that 3.3 pounds of light malt extract alone is 20 dollars. Does this price sound right? Am I going to be spending 40 bucks every 2 weeks brewing?

Evan

Reaction score
extract is a big chunk of the price. i can't remember what LME cost, i think at austinhomebrewsupply.com you can pick up 5lb of DME for $10 or $12.

but i'd check out a few places online, some have flat rate shipping, and you could order enough supplies for a few batches at once and probably save a little over going someplace local.

loopmd

Reaction score
Sounds high. I usually spend about 12 bucks for that size. If you can't find anything locally, I suggest you try some online stores.

Loop

edit...Evan beat me to it!!

Moonpile

Reaction score
3 lbs of Munton's DME (Dry Malt Extract) is $14.99 at my LHBS (Local Home Brew Store). LME (Liquid) is $3.50/lb from their bulk containers. 3.3 lbs of Muntons LME in a can is $13.99.

I think some of the "kit" brews that some shops sell are discounted compared to buying the individual ingredients, but I'm not sure of that.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
I've been going extract kits and some recipes and they range from high 20's thru high 40's, but I usally end up buying some equipment also, so yea plan on spending 40-50 each time I'd guess
If you only have 1 kit, does it include a secondary or did you only get a ferminter and a bottle bucket? With a plan on a new brew every 2 weeks, I think you're going to upgrade or equipment quickly

OP
B

Beer_Me

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I will definitely order online from now on. I am just giddy to get this started so I sucked it up and spent $55 bucks this once.