A couple of quick questions on small batch all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grilljockey

Reaction score
In an effort to move up to all grain before I make all of the requisite investments in equipment, I was thinking about starting with half batches (2.5 gallons). Smaller batches will allow me to get a 'full' boil going on my stove and using a BIAB technique I figure I will get a better mash with the smaller grain volume. Also, I can use single batches of yeast rather than doubling. And finally, gives me more options to try different brews! I have a few 2.5g carboys already. I don't want to drop the money on the other equipment until I know I'm hooked.

First question might be an obvious answer, but just want to check to make sure. I can just halve the volume of all ingredients listed on a 5G batch, and keep the mash schedules, boil times and hop additions at the same intervals as I would on a larger batch, right?

Second question...how much of a quality loss is there likely to be if I do partial boil versus full boil? Reason I might consider a partial boil is because I don't have a wort chiller yet. Doing a smaller boil volume could allow me to freeze some previously boiled water in sanitized jars, and drop these large ice cubes into the concentrated wort to drop the temp faster. I know this changes the hop utilization, and that I would have to adjust accordingly. But otherwise, is there a really notable loss of quality in doing a partial versus full boil (on the half batch). The tradeoff is either a slower wort chill on a 'full' boil, or a faster wort chill on a partial boil.

Thoughts on either of these questions?

Do a full boil, it really does make a better end product. Try to get yourself a wort chiller, give up the other vices for a few weeks to save up the cash. LOL

You can halve the ingredients pretty much. Brewing software is handy for things like this, but can easily be done on paper.

Also, not sure I understand the partial boil thing. All grain assumes boiling of all the wort collected (in separate pots, same pots, whatever). The other option would be to do high-gravity smaller batches and water down (say 1 gallon of strong wort, add a gallon of water to reach OG)...but I would just save the scratch for an immersion chiller and do the full boil and make life and your beer better.

I am assuming that your pot is large enough for a full boil, you didn't say. If you are only doing small batches ( i also only do 2.5 gallon batches) it's pretty easy just to chill in the sink. I just freeze a bunch of water beforehand and keep dumping it in the sink filled with water around the pot. I also froze bags of water in freezer bags (good sealing ones) and put them in the fermenter with sanitizer for a few minutes and them dropped them in the pot and fish them out later on occasion. Then there's always no-chill. Haven't tried it yet but it's tempting.

Frozen water bottles work fine. Having the ice bath ready to go works great. Also sanitizer frozen bottles help too. as long as you sanitary your good to go.

I use a 12qt (3g) pot on my stove no problems heating or cooling and I have filled that pot to the brim. I'm planning more 2.5g batch soon, My split boil 4g batches make a long day.

I also use a cheap SS 5g pot with a bazooka screen and valve as a mash tun. I use the oven to help of the temp. Works great.

I've done a couple stove top AG small batches - did the beer in a bag thing.
As long as you have a sink or plastic tub big enough to hold your pot and some ice water, you can cool down a 2.5-3 gallon batch pretty quickly. I would do the full boil.

Back