A couple of questions...n00b recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelmetYouFiend

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing, made a couple of batches but not much yet. The guy at my local homebrew store convinced me that making a Bavarian Wheat beer would be a good way to go for my next attempt. Sounded good so I got all the stuff I need.

My questions are:

1. Previously I've used hop pellets, this time I've got whole hops. Is it better for these to be put in a bag before adding them to the wort or will it be fine to just put them in and then strain the wort as it goes into the fermenter?

2. The recipe says to add the wheat flakes for the last 10 minutes of the boil, same question applies here. Do I just throw them in or do they need to be in a bag so they can be easily removed from the wort after the boil is done?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

1. Either way is fine. I always use a bag, but straining would work just fine.

2. The wheat flakes should not be added to the boil...that seems odd. they should be steeped or used in a partial mash.

are there any other grains? what is your recipe?

1. Either way is fine. I always use a bag, but straining would work just fine.

2. The wheat flakes should not be added to the boil...that seems odd. they should be steeped or used in a partial mash.

are there any other grains? what is your recipe?

Thanks for that.

Recipe is as follows:

6 lbs Dried Wheat Extract (60% wheat-40% barley)
1/2 Crystal Malt - 10L (steeped 30 mins)
1 lb Carapils/Dextrin Malt (steeped 30 mins)
4 oz Wheat Flakes - added for last 10 minutes of boil
3/4 oz Tettnang Hops - bittering hops (boiled 60 mins)
3/4 oz Tettnang Hops - Bittering/Flavoring hops (boiled 25 mins)
1/2 oz Tettnang Hops - Aromatic hops (end of boil)
Yeast - Wyeast #3056 Bavarian Wheat Beer yeast

That's as it's written on the information I was given. Maybe the it means the wheat flakes should be in for the last 10 minutes of steeping?

Latest posts

Back