a couple newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdionne

Reaction score
1. Are you supposed to aerate the wort before you put the yeast in or after you put the yeast in and wait a little?

2. Is it okay to use regular tap water or should you boil everything that goes in the fermenter?

1. I pitch the yeast and then shake like hell. Of course, I also transfer my wort to the carboy through a strainer so that helps quite a bit also. So, I would say both.

2. I don't use tap water to brew because of chlorine, but I would say your OK(without boiling) if your worried about bugs. I would feel safer using bottled water though.

1. Most people aerate before pitching, although sometimes with high gravity beers you can aerate before pitching, then again a couple times after pitching.

2. My rule is if the tap water tastes good then use it. I've never used bottled water, and I probably never will.

You can aerate before or after you pitch the yeast, I do before I pitch. You can use regular tap water as long as you think it tastes ok. If it tastes ok it should be ok for your brew. If you do full boils then using tap water is fine. If you are concerned about chlorine, Chlorine is boiled out of water in about 20 minutes, unless your in an area that now uses chloramine, which cannon be extracted from water.

i would highly suggest going to your local supermarket and purchasing a few gallons of bottled water. Doesnt need to be the good stuff but atleast you know its clean and chlorine and microbe free. Anything i have ever put into the fermenter is either boiled or from bottled water. Some people including beermuncher who is a veterine on this site use somehting like this:Clear Inline Hose Filter Canister

Back