a couple beginner mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Been saving these up so I can ask all at once:

1. After you've killed off fermentation by adding potassium sorbate and campden tablets (I think those are the two), what's your technique for adding an ounce or two of honey to back sweeten and getting it dissolved into the mead without aerating it? I'm assuming you really don't want to dissolve the honey in water first as that may dilute the final product? Or maybe a little water is ok?

2. I've mostly been doing 1 gallon batches. Roughly how many oak chips should I add to give the mead a nice oak undertone without overdoing it? For some reason I was thinking 1 oz was about the normal for 5 gallons, so I've been doing 1/4 oz for 1 gallon. Am I close?

Seems like I had another question but am coming up blank at the moment, thanks for your advice.

Jeff

When backsweetening, I mix the honey with a little water to make it easy to pour and dissolve.

Using 1 gram per liter is a good way to start with oak. For a gallon, 4 grams would be about the right amount. That's somewhat less than 1/4 oz, but it will keep you from overpowering the mead. If using cubes that would be about 5 cubes (give or take).

Back