A Citra SMaSh for first AG brew??/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a simple recipe for my first AG brew, K.I.S.S motto as I get used to my new setup. I'm a big fan of the fruity, tropical hops like Citra and thought this may be a good beer for a first try. With very limited brewing experience I'm not sure which way to go with the malt base, can someone steer me in a direction of how to design this recipe. It'll be 5 Gal batch. Thanks for the help.

You can certainly make a SMaSH as your first recipe. But I tend to think that making a recipe with a very simple grain bill is just as easy as a SMaSH. SMaSH recipes are a great way to learn about how a particular hop or particular grain tastes, but IMO they don't produce the best beer.

So you could try something like EdWort's haus pale: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/ That is a very simple grain bill and a very simple process--single infusion at 152. Pretty typical for an APA. The hop schedule will require a little adjustment if you use Citra instead, since it's higher in alpha acid than cascade is.

So if I were to use Citra hops instead would I just base the amount of hops by shooting for the target IBU's????

If you wanted to use Citra alone, I would cut the first addition in half. You can leave the rest the same. You can also add more hops right at flameout, which will increase hop aroma (that's why people like citra, after all!). Up to 2 ounces right when you turn the heat off would work.

I just made a blonde ale with citra at 15 and FO with spalt fwh and it is straight mango juice!! not my thing..

Latest posts

Back