a case of mushy Crabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngrySanta

Reaction score
Oi! Ladds, my neighbour has a tree full of lovely tasty crab apples. I waitted too long to pic them from when they were crisp and could be easily juiced.

With mushy crabapples, what can Ido to make a good cider. I had thought of crushing them and put them in a Brew bag to step in a bucket of water. Possibly add sugar if the OG is too low.

Add cheap apple juice from the store instead of water. Or use better juice from local orchards if you can get it. Use frozen apple juice concentrate to bring up the ABV instead of sugar.
How much crab apples to use depends on the variety. Some have more intense taste, some are kind of bland.
If you have a large amount, I'd ty mashing them up and place in a bucket, (in brew bag) add pectic enzyme and some apple juice to help get the enzyme mixed through all the apples. Keep in a cool place and stir once a day. After about a week you should be able to pull the bag out and let it drain. You may then want to add more juice to what you have.

Let them ferment and see what you get. If the brew is good drink it as it is, if not you can mix it with other cider batches and see what it does for the flavour. Start with mixing small amounts and try them before mixing larger amounts.

Back