A Brew Room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I have been struggling with how to decide to make a home brewery I can work with. I have sever arthritus, had one hand surgery already, I suspect I will have the other one fixed, but I hope not. I can't lift heavy thing, I'm working on that, so I have decided I am going to build an electric brewery. I have much of the electronics in progress, I am having trouble deciding where to build the brewery in my house. My house does not have a basement, just a dirt crawl space.

I brew small 2.5 gallon batches, using the BIAB system. I don't need a ton of space. I love to brew and more frequent is better for me.

My first option was the laundry room, It has a vent, a sink with hot and cold water and a counter top I could convert to both fold clothes and brew beer. The problem: I don't always put stuff away right away so I would ALWAYS have SWMBO on my tail. Not good.

My second option, and the current plan is a corner in the garage. I can make this work except I have to find a way to drain the sink somewhere. I figured I would drill a port in the side of the garage, it is only gray water, and drain to my landscape. The problem: It is so dirty, I would be spending all of my time cleaning the place and my equipment. But, it could work.

Until I had this thought :drunk:
I live in a large house, my kids are out on their own now, at least for a while. We have a room on the first floor that is really just a storage room that I could easily convert into a brew room. It has a bathroom right next door, with a shower to clean the big items, so hot and cold water are within 10 feet already. and I could vent the brew fumes through the same channel the bathroom exhaust vents through. I would have to remove the carpet and put down a tile floor maybe even with a drain.

Has anyone except Kal :) done anything like this. I mentioned it to SWMBO this morning and after a few hours she was at least, "It is a room, brewery's are to go in a basement or a garage, not is a real room."

If anyone has a room like this, images would be useful. I would also like to hear suggestions why it is a bad idea?

I vote for the garage. I have a laundry sink that drains straight out on the lawn. The grass seems to love it. I don't even bother venting. If it gets steamy, I open the garage door. My HLT is my water heater for brewing and cleaning water. I do all my projects in my garage. It is simple multi-purpose space and can hold my kegerator and several chest freezers. From day one, I never considered brewing in my house. It has been done quite nicely though.

I brew in the shower room that is connected to my sauna; it's a big room with a shower, drain and air vent. I keep all my equipment in my boiler room, which has a door to the shower room.

I used to do all my fermentation in the sauna, but since we need to put the dogs there sometimes when we leave for a few hours I have moved most of my fermentation to what used to be the firewood storage room. That place is dark and stays at 20 celcius. Across from the hall, there is a "cold room" which has air flow from outside. It stays about 15 celcius year round, depending on how much the air vents are adjusted to be open. That's where I ferment lagers.

When we moved last autumn, there were specific reasons why I chose this house...

@lschiavo: The unfortunate part is if I use the garage, I will have access to a 7ft x 5ft corner. It is the space I use now to store my stand and pots, etc. The value of going inside would allow me to have more space to mess up :)

Back