A break from all the brew stand & keeper builds - Homemade Margarita Machine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
I was surprised at how well this actually works. It was easy to build and took about 120 bucks. It's infamously known as the Redneck Margarita Machine. I'm sure some of you here have seen them already. But I just had to put it on here. It uses a garbage disposal and a construction water cooler. The garbage disposal also works as a pretty strong pump to recirculate the margarita to the top of the cooler. I thought it was pretty cool and would work well for this weekends family festivities.

20140522_193944.jpg

20140521_232250.jpg

20140522_193950.jpg

So the disposal outlet goes to the PVC pipe, which is tee'd between the ricirc return line and the faucet? Just trying to guess what's involved in a margarita machine.

That is beautiful. I want to make one for the sheer awesomeness of this thing, and I dont even drink margaritas. Something about horsepower, crushing, and alcohol that brings men together.

Should just be a T fitting, one side goes to outlet of disposal, other end goes to valve and spigot. Top of T valve goes up to recirculate the Margarita during blending. Force from blender will push Margarita up through the top of the T when the valve is closed.

Yep. Just a tee out of the disposal. One side runs to the valve and the other to recirculate.

And yes we use some pretty big cups. :drunk:

Only thing is you have to use a stainless disposal. The cheap ones that don't have stainless internals will flake and rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ok Here is is I couldn't figure out how to embed the video. It looks a bit more watery in the video than it actually was. If you look at the picture in the original post you can see much more ice.

I have found a couple of changes I would like to make on the design. I would like to move the valve closer to the tee fitting. The pipe works great for a pitcher but I'm still thinking about putting a reducer after the valve.

It also stays frozen for a pretty long while. We had margaritas for a few hours. But you do have to turn it on when pouring so it will push the ice out. Also maybe a different ball valve. Many people couldn't figure out which way to turn it.:drunk:

You also have to let it run for about 5 minutes on start up to get a good slushy mixture like a margarita/daiquiri. That's still shorter than an actual margarita machine though. But it works great and everybody loved it this weekend. I got asked to make about 3 more of them.

That's bad ass! I just keep em on tap in a 5 gallon keg!

Here is the mix!
I like to make em a few days ahead of time and carbonate the hell out of it! On the rocks in a salted glass!

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20130704_131128_490.jpg

Hey jay could you put out a list of your ingredients for the kegged Margarita, I am having trouble seeing the pic. Thanks

That's bad ass! I just keep em on tap in a 5 gallon keg!

Here is the mix!
I like to make em a few days ahead of time and carbonate the hell out of it! On the rocks in a salted glass!

Cheers
Jay

Probably should have quoted you first...anyhow, if you could put out a list of what you use for this kegged Margarita that would be awesome. Thanks

Hey jay could you put out a list of your ingredients for the kegged Margarita, I am having trouble seeing the pic. Thanks

You bet
I use
2 full 750Ml bottles of Tequila I have used many different kinds over the years and I think THIS Is my favorite when I put them on tap. The last time (in the picture) we used Kirkland brand and something else. They were good but not as good as the Margaritaville Gold Tequila.
1 bottle of Hiram Walker Triple-sec
5 bottles of margarita mix (I use 3 reg and 2 light to keep the SWMBO happy)
3 2L bottles of Squirt soda (This is the MAGIC IMHO)
and then I juice 2 limes sometimes 3 depending on the size of the limes.

Dump all in a clean and sanitized keg, chill and carbonate to a much higher level than beer! I go about 30+PSI for several days. I really like to make this several days ahead of the party. I like them bright, on the rocks in a salted glass..

Cheers
Jay

Right around 150 bucks. That should get everything you need. You can also find a cheaper way to build the stand.

This really neat. Anyone ever see one made with a square or rectangular cooler? I have a modest cooler hanging
around.....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You bet
I use
2 full 750Ml bottles of Tequila I have used many different kinds over the years and I think THIS Is my favorite when I put them on tap. The last time (in the picture) we used Kirkland brand and something else. They were good but not as good as the Margaritaville Gold Tequila.

Dump all in a clean and sanitized keg, chill and carbonate to a much higher level than beer! I go about 30+PSI for several days. I really like to make this several days ahead of the party. I like them bright, on the rocks in a salted glass..

Cheers
Jay

Don't wanna hijack the thread but how long does this keep?

Don't wanna hijack the thread but how long does this keep?

Don't ever worry about hijacking a thread when it's worth it! I have contemplated mixing a keg with rum and coke for family party's for about 30+ people. Not sure how well it would work though.

Don't ever worry about hijacking a thread when it's worth it! I have contemplated mixing a keg with rum and coke for family party's for about 30+ people. Not sure how well it would work though.

That would work fine. The cornies are soda kegs after all. So long as you get the serving pressure high enough and have long enough lines/some restriction so that it does not blow all the carbonation out of solution. Liquor and soda mixes should keep fine.

When I first got my kegs, I had no beer to put in them. So I took one and mixed up 2.5 gallons of bourbon and coke. The mix stayed 'mixed' for the whole time I used that which was several weeks.

On the other hand, I have tried the sodastream heavy syrup mixes added to a keg of water and got mixed results. You have to mix that stuff very well or it will stratify over time.

Any extra cleaning of the kegs, keg components or lines after putting these cocktails on draft?

Any extra cleaning of the kegs, keg components or lines after putting these cocktails on draft?

Nope. Nothing other than soaking the metal keg with oxyclean free and hot water. I flushed the lines with hot water and then ran starsan through the keg. I didn't use root beer syrups at all.

I would do it again, premixed booze on tap is Amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You bet
I use

Cheers
Jay

For those who find this mix may be a little too sweet for their taste or if you are in a hurry to carbonate, toss in about one to 1.5 quarts of cheap yellow fizzy beer. Works wonders and keeps the alcohol content up.

Also on the "triple sec"... look for some top shelf orange liqueur that goes 40 proof, not the well 15 proof crap in the plastic bottle for $6-7. Pay $12-$16 and get 40 proof.

Doing the math on the above recipe and changing to 40 proof Cointreau from triple sec and throwing 32 ounces of 4.2% beer into the mix, I calculate 26.7 ounces of grain alcohol in about 600 total ounces for an ABV of 4.45% per serving. Very reasonable.

Cheers!

Back