A Bock w/o the Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laiced

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it possible to make a Bock-style beer without the Lagering process. I do not have means to create a lagering chamber or convert a freezer but I wanted to brew a darker beer along the lines of a bock.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Depends on how close you want it to a Bock style. If you use a neutral yeast like Danstar's Nottingham or a Safale product like S-05 it will be close. I think (haven't tried it though) that a malty beer like a Bock would hide some of the yeast flavours produced by an ale yeast.

I made a bock without lagering using safale k-97 yeast and it turned out very good. 6 weeks after bottling or kegging both turned out very drinkable.

I've made plenty of lagers that didn't receive a true cold lagering, but simply were kept longer in the 50's after kegging. It takes longer to clear, but it does work.

Another sort of Maibock style is the Paulaner Salvator doppel bock. Use a German style yeast & hops with the recipe I did & the color will be spot on,flavor pretty close. I used a Cooper's O.S. lager can with 3lbs of plain extra light Munton's DME. But I went for more English like flavors with the Cooper's ale yeast,With Kent Golding & Willamette hops.
A German yeast With some Haulertau & maybe spalt or tetnang would make it more like the Salvator doppel bock. The color is a rich amber,slightly biscuity maltiness with bittering/hop flavor on the finish.

Another sort of Maibock style is the Paulaner Salvator doppel bock. Use a German style yeast & hops with the recipe I did & the color will be spot on,flavor pretty close. I used a Cooper's O.S. lager can with 3lbs of plain extra light Munton's DME. But I went for more English like flavors with the Cooper's ale yeast,With Kent Golding & Willamette hops.
A German yeast With some Haulertau & maybe spalt or tetnang would make it more like the Salvator doppel bock. The color is a rich amber,slightly biscuity maltiness with bittering/hop flavor on the finish.

This sounds promising. However, being so new to this, I have no idea how I would write up a complete recipe for this.

Would you mind helping me with this?

Well,I used the Cooper's OS (Original Series) lager can because the bittering hop is already done,& rather neutral to slightly fruity. If the German yeast is a smack pack/activator (wyeast or white labs),so do that In the morning of brew day to give it a few hours to go to work.
Then boil 2.5 gallons of water placing the Haulertau & spault or tetnang hop pellets in hop sacks,tie off ends,& pitch into the boiling water,setting the timer for 15 mins. Drain/remove hop sacks,take the Cooper's can & place in pot of hot water to soften. Remove BK from heat,stir in 3lb bag of plain extra light munton's DME into hop tea till all clumps are dissolved.
Stir in softened cooper's lager can to completely incorporate. Place lid on brew kettle,& allow to steep for 15mins or so while you sanitize the fermenter,etc. Then chill wort in sink of ice water down to about 70F Add to fermenter with enough spring water to make 5.5-6G. I made it to 23L,0r 6.072G,since I use a cooper's micro brew FV. But it is my considered opinion That no more than 22L would be better. But 5G would be a bit much. You don't want to overpower the range of flavor desired in this style. By the way,the new avatar pic is it. Ferment at/close to 70F,but a yeast that can do 66-69 is good too. I made a 1 1/2 cup starter with 1/4C of the DME for 3.5 hours that worked fine,since the yeast was old. It took 3 weeks to go from 1.044OG down to 1.012FG. 4.8%ABV to style.

Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering the same thing. I could probably "lager" (except not really) at around 60 and probably even 50-55 during the winter, but no colder. Better to use a slow ale yeast, or a lager yeast then?

NO! The paulaner is the original style Salvator doppel bock,which is brewed as an ale,as I've done. It's a little strange with mine. It was more to English style (a lil bit) at 3 weks at 70F in bottles,6 days in fridge. But,4 weeks/5days,& it was a bit toastier,like the Salvator. So.it is my considered opinion that a German yeast & hops would be more of a clone than mine was originally.
But,as I said,the Salvator is the original style of this beer,brewed as an ale. It even says so on the bottle,not to mention germanbeerinstitute.com. Look under beer styles for a description. The newer ones are lagers,but not this original. The Michelob amber bock,for instance,is actually more of a swartzbier (black beer) or black lager.

I have to say unionrdr, that I really appreciate the info you have given...I am going to make this my 2nd batch and give it a shot....Are there any specialty grains that I should consider steeping as well? Like I said, I am new at this and have yet to create my own recipes....

I have to say unionrdr, that I really appreciate the info you have given...I am going to make this my 2nd batch and give it a shot....Are there any specialty grains that I should consider steeping as well? Like I said, I am new at this and have yet to create my own recipes....

Thanx. I didn't intend to make anyone seem dumb or anything. This just happens to be one brew I have some experiences with:D. I don't really think you need any steeping grains with this one,since adding the 3lbs of DME to the Cooper's OS lager can (pre-hopped LME) seemed to have the same effect as 8oz of carapils (malted grain). Just be sure to get the "plain" DME. Plain,in this case,means "un-hopped".

Latest posts

Back