A bit more stuff on heat pasteurising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Regulars on HBT will know that I have a bit of a "bee in my bonnet" at present about Heat Pasteurising. Well, today I noticed that our dishwasher (Miele) has a Universal 65 program which we rarely use. A check of the Owners Manual showed that this washes and dries at 65C. (Also the Universal 55 program dries at 65C)... perhaps to ensure that the dishes are treated at over the "magic" 60C temperature for pasteurising to kill pathogens etc.

So I put on the 65 program and slipped in a Grolsch bottle full of water among the dishes. At the end of the rinse and dry cycle the water in the bottle was 64C. Maybe this answers the sometimes asked question of "can you pasteurise in a dishwasher?" The answer is, probably "Yes", but I guess 64C takes the pressure of a carbonated bottle up near 6 atm or 90 psi, so bottle bombs may be a risk with weak bottles.

SWOMBO has declared the dishwasher off-limits for pasteurising bottles of cider, just in case. Seems like a good idea though, Your Honour!

not to mention it would not be nice to flavor. ideal pastuerization is to meet the temp/time threshold and chill as fast as possible. cant imagine an hour in the dishwasher/oven would be great for shelf life.....

Would a water bath with a sous vide be better. Set you temperature and time. Then ice bath afterwards?

Definitely. You can buy acheap thermometer with alarm function if you don’t have one (bbq or baking types) and set it for your pasteurization temp. Stick in a extra bottle with water matching the temp of your bottles as a control. When it goes off hit the cooling.

I think the sous vide is a good idea, however I'd be worried about cold crashing in ice bath. I'd think the thermal shock would be enough to break bottles. I pasteurize then let cool on table outside.

Speaking of pasteurizing---being new to all this. Do you HAVE to do it? I started with a cider that was pasteurized. The only additive was the yeast and I am about to bottle. I don't expect to keep this long--it is my first batch and I hope to drink it in Oct at my wedding. It is just a still cider nothing fancy.

Re using a sous vide and cold crashing to cool down...

I have only been looking at pasteurising to produce a sweet carbonated cider. I was intrigued by the "convenient" dishwasher temperatures, but agree with the likelihood that too much heat for too long could cause problems.

For my tastes, letting cider "fully"ferment with SO4 (which sometimes finishes above 1.000), then adding AJ, sugar or whatever to about 1.004 or 1.005, then bottle and let carbonation take place, results in a nice dry cider with just a touch of sweetness. In fact I have bottled at 1.004 or 1.005 on the way down. No pasteurising needed for this.

However, some people prefer a sweeter cider than a fully fermented "dry" cider. So, I have just pasteurised a batch at 1.004 which was bottled at 1.009. I used a 1000W sous vide set to 70C to bring the bottles up to temperture and am really pleased with the outcome. The result was a sparkling and not too sweet cider with no "cooked" or "off' taste (unlike some of the alcopop ciders on the market).

Basically the process follows JimRausch's cooler pasteurising method, but with a set of "numbers" to tell me what was happening. The bottles were preheated with hot tap water to a bit over 50C, then brought up to 60C with the sous vide. (One pasteurisation unit (PU) is generated by 60C for one minute so that is considered to be the starting point for pasteurisation)

Bear with the following arithmetic, it is important. From 60C it took 5 minutes for the bottles to reach 65C then another 10 minutes to drop down to 60C once they were removed from the water. Pasteurisation units per minute isn't a linear relationship with more PUs per minute generated as temperature increases, so you do have to keep an eye on the bottle temperature as it is easy to "overcook" (e.g. a minute at 65C will result in about 6PUs, 67C will result in about 10PUs and 70C will generate 20PUs which is almost half of the target in a minute!).

When all the arithmetic was done (temperature and PUs generated each minute using the formula PU=t+1.393^(T-60)), I found that the outcome was 54 PUs. The target was 50PUs which is the currently accepted target (according to Jolicoeur and Lea), with 65C as the "guaranteed" pasteurisation temperature to kill the yeast (although there is some evidence that temperatures slightly below 60C may also work).

Breweries and the like will work on targets as low as15-30PUs with flash pasteurising, but for "craft" cidermaking, a temperature of 65C and 50PUs seems to be an easy target for effective pasteurisation with a good margin of safety as we generally don't have access to the precise process controls available to big operators.

I was going to see if fermentation would stop if I only achieved 30 PUs, but that target turned out to be a bit hard to stick to in practice as 30PUs are generated over the five minutes it takes to heat up to 65C, so the bottles would have to be rapidly cooled from that point to stop the "cool down" pasteurisation. It is easier to just let them cool by themselves and naturally achieve 50 PUs. Certainly, much of the pasteurisation takes place in the cooling down phase. It might be possible to heat the bottles more rapidly by adding boiling water (or even heating to only 63C) but it hardly seems to be worthwhile just to gain a few minutes or shave a few PUs off the result.

So, the above method "naturally" pasteurises cider without going to too much fuss (i.e heat up from 60C to 65C over 5 minutes then cool down in ambient air). It is worth noting that carbonation from 1.009 to 1.004 drop resulted in just over 2 atmospheres and when heated to 65C the pressure got as high as 5 atm (about 75 psi) which is below the supposed 100psi limit for beer bottles. At 70C it is 6 atm or 90psi (that is another reason why temperature control is important), still below bottle bomb pressure, but take care!

Has anyone tried to do it with a single propane burner. I seems to me if you do get a bottle bomb then it's outside on the deck and not on the stove. I think I might try this method since you could heat the water to desired temp and then shut off the burner. do you see anything wrong with this method...thanks

Should work fine. I did something like that using SWMBO's electric preserving pot until I got a sous vide heater which controls the temperature more accurately. I did drape hessian over the top just in case

Back