A big thank you to all the craft brewers that put their product in cans.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shake

Reaction score
I just want to thank all the craft brewers that are canning their beer. We now have some really good choices to take on the fishing boat. I stopped by the local beer store to grab a six pack for the drift boat and found Trout Slayer, Fat Tire and Moose Drool in a can.:rockin:

You can't take glass in a boat?

I always ask people not bring glass on my boat if at all possible (a bottle of wine is an exception). They get knocked around so much in the coolers that they have a tendency to break. Also breaking one on the deck sucks when people don't have shoes on.

Most boat owners I know do the same

I really like Old Chub in the can.
:)D sorry- you know I had to do it).

Capital brewery (in Madison, WI) has their Wisconsin amber in a can, and I love it for boating and kayaking.

Thats right, cans.

All kidding aside, I wish more craft breweries could get on the boat. I know startup is rather cost prohibitive. Just imagine if some of the bigger ones like Sam Adams, Anchor and even Sierra Nevada, Bells and Great Lakes started canning. Now that would really be a revolution!

Capital brewery (in Madison, WI) has their Wisconsin amber in a can, and I love it for boating and kayaking.
they also have the island wheat. But I can't stand the beer.

Ska has the modus hoperandi(sp?) in cans as well. Very good ipa from a can.

Ska has the modus hoperandi(sp?) in cans as well. Very good ipa from a can.

Astonishing good IPA no matter what container it comes in.

Mama's Little Yella Pils

MamasLittleYellaPilsCan3-3-09cropJ.JPG

should work out just fine for a boat trip. "Only" 5.3 % ABV and 35 IBU. Great session beer from Oskar Blues.

A lot of music festivals don't allow glass, so decent beer in cans is great for those.

I've been dying to try Oskar Blues Gordon. Gonna have to get myself out west soon.

In other news, my favorite local microbrewery is getting ready to start canning next year. Can't wait!

It seems that there are many different situations where cans are easier, safer, or just more appropriate. I'm going to look for some of these suggestions next time I go fishing.

I've been dying to try Oskar Blues Gordon. Gonna have to get myself out west soon.

In other news, my favorite local microbrewery is getting ready to start canning next year. Can't wait!

Who might that be? BBC? Or is one of the others starting to bottle/can now (which would be awesome)?

Sweet! They have some pretty damn good beer. Any info when and what they are canning/bottling? They don't bottle yet do they? I've only been to Rich O's and their new brewpub and had their beers on tap, which were great.

If I EVER open a micro-brewery I'm going to put the bulk of my beer into cans (and kegs of course) but I'll bottle special ones.

Yeah, I said it.... I love cans.

I really like Old Chub in the can.
:)D sorry- you know I had to do it).

Stay local! keweenaw brewing company

keweenaw%20brewing%20lift%20bridge%20brown%20ale.jpg

for me its SKA :D

Sweet! They have some pretty damn good beer. Any info when and what they are canning/bottling? They don't bottle yet do they? I've only been to Rich O's and their new brewpub and had their beers on tap, which were great.

They don't bottle (other than growlers, and you can buy a sixth barrel keg sometimes if you catch them at just the right time)... but cans are on sometime in 2010, I don't know that they've announced a more specific date yet.

Hoptimus has been reformulated and is now 10.7% abv, 100 IBUs. They tapped a batch a month or so ago that was absolutely awesome. It's still kind of variable batch to batch, but with the new brewery online now, they're getting more and more consistent.

Elector, I don't know if it's been reworked or not, but I had a couple pints two weeks ago and it was incredible. I've always liked it, but this last batch... wow...

They're also planning a series of single-hop IPAs in the next few months, all with the same recipe except a different hop variety, in an effort to get people to become familiar with the flavor and aroma of the different hops.

Well that just sounds awesome. Thanks for the heads-up.

Ive got some looking around to do. Hope i can find some craft brew
in a can. Man i miss cans.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ten FIDY yet. :drunk:

Absolutely fantastic beer. The funny thing about Oskar Blues is that I really don't care for their Pale Ale, but I can't say enough about the Ten Fidy, Gordon, and Mama's Pils. The Jamil show did a clone of Gordon, by the way. The recipe ended up being something along the lines of:

14# 2 row
1.4# crystal 45
1.05# munich
1.05# carastan
2.5 GRAMS pale chocolate malt
.75oz Northern Brewer @90min
4oz columbus @10min
2.15oz Amarillo dry hop for 7-10 days
WLP001 Cal-Ale yeast

OG=1080, 70 IBU

This is in my to-do list

I'm with ODaniel. I attend numerous music festivals where glass is not allowed. I try to bring a mini-keg or two of homebrew (or 2-Hearted/Oberon!), but it's not convenient to carry one of those when wandering about the campgrounds.

Also: float trips. In Missouri, it is against the law to have glass containers on the river - or within 50 feet of a beach. Speaking of which I need to make a run to the store for a float I've got coming up in the next few weeks....

And no mention of Surly in this thread yet??!?!? Shameful! ;)

Craft brews in a can? Im going to get it in the can tonight! :D

Sorry, but I love that commercial. Never saw it on TV though, did they decide not to use it?

I try to bring a mini-keg or two of homebrew (or 2-Hearted/Oberon!), but it's not convenient to carry one of those when wandering about the campgrounds.

Aw man. Don't give up on the idea. I'm thinking backpack with a party tap hose hooked up front for easy dispensing. or for singular consumption you can use the hose as a straw.

These folks love it in the can. Sure ain't craft beer tho...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZX9Rv_2_C0]YouTube - "In the Can" Bud Light Lime Ad[/ame]

Back