A belgian wit without the wit... what is it?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I was going to make a belgian wit and had NO idea there was an unmalted white wheat grain, and so I had no idea it was the main ingredient. I used regular old malted wheat.

What is this beer? It tastes good, just had a sample this morning (10 days in primary). Its down to 1.010 and I used a WYeast Belgian Wit yeast. I think it had some munich and pils malt in it.... it was like 50% wheat too. It's been fermenting at 75F and has a VERY fruity nose to it. It got up to 79F for a couple hours (was hot as hell that day) until I threw it in the bathtub with a wet towel wrapped around it. Any ideas what this is?

Thanks

EDIT: Oh yea and I used a bunch of hallertauer hops. I was just using some extra stuff I had laying around, so I'm really not sure if I was even on track for a belgian wit at all.

markhip

Reaction score
I did a similar thing with malted wheat and Brewferm Blanche yeast, it look more like a hefe but I thought it taster like a wit, although I did not added spice to it, I like it.

OP
Ó Flannagáin
Reaction score
Hey same thing here man, looks like a hefe tastes like something else, not a blue moon or hoegarden though (those are wits right?)

markhip

Reaction score
seefresh said:
Hey same thing here man, looks like a hefe tastes like something else, not a blue moon or hoegarden though (those are wits right?)
Yep, might be good for people who do like the whole banana and clove thing from hefe’s.

z987k

Reaction score
isn't the wit yeast the more important part of the wit? Since I extract brew, I used wheat dme, which I'm sure isn't unmalted white wheat. Samples taste good.

markhip

Reaction score
Malted wheat is different for un-malted, not withstanding you will still make great beer, just not the same. A similar effect is seen with malted and un-malted (flaked) Rye

Evan!

Reaction score
I've made 3 witbiers and never used unmalted wheat...and they all turned out tasting like witbier. I don't think it's an absolute requirement. I might try it next time just to see what difference it might make, but, all in all, I think the spicing and the yeast are much more integral to making a witbier a witbier than unmalted wheat.