A beginner's questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkeleybrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am brewing my first batch which I started on Tuesday 6/6/06. Anyways, I have a few questions.

I have have a secondary carboy, and was wondering when i should siphon off the promary into that, and for how long.

Another question I have is if it is a problem that I never used my hydrometer to monitor the acohol content, and how I can ensure that a proper alcohol content is maintained throughout the process.

My last question has to do with bottling, is it suffient just to say boil recycled old bottles, or should I also use the iodine solution?

Thanks to everyone who provides their input.

Berkeleybrew

Primary 1 week, secondary 2 week is the common rule of thumb.

Alcohol: you just need a gravity measure before going to the primary and another one before bottling to know abv.

Sometimes, if at doubt I check when in the secondary in case I see some activity to be sure that fermentation is complete.

Generally, you should let it sit in the primary fermentor for 7-10 days. I let mine sit in the secondary for 10-14 days depending on much of a hurry I am in. Don't worry about not having using hydrometer. It is a nice tool to determine how your beer is progressing but your beer will be fine without it.
There are a few solutions to clean bottles. I use PBW and clean them beforehand and turn them upside down. I sanitize with iodaphor (iodine) on bottling day.If you have a dishwasher it works well for the bottles to drain as you sanitize them. Screw top bottles are a little tricky to cap with a wing capper. Good luck and keep us posted. What kind of beer did you brew?

Thanks guys, I brewed a stout, that was just a recipe from the brew store I went to. What is PBW? Also, how important is the speed in which you cap the bottles once all the beer is in them? I've gotta say though, I'm hooked.

PBW = powdered brewers wash. Good stuff. Not sure I understand the speed question. I cap around 12-18 at a time while my other bottles drain on the dishwasher rack. You got a bottle filler?

yeah, i guess i mean once uve filled all of your bottles, how important is it that you cap the bottles quickly, i guess i've heard that "bad" things can happen if you take too much time to do this. I may have heard wrong, i don't know.

oh, also, for the pbw that you explained, i have sodium percarbonate, maybe thats what your refering to

berkeleybrew said:
yeah, i guess i mean once uve filled all of your bottles, how important is it that you cap the bottles quickly, i guess i've heard that "bad" things can happen if you take too much time to do this. I may have heard wrong, i don't know.

"Bad things" are contamination. Though, when you ask the capping-speed question, I can tell you already know that. In terms of capping speed--I ponder that everytime I bottle--you can only go so fast. You just have to trust that the alcohol present in the bottle will fend off contamination and a little hope. Don't worry about that. Just make sure you don't spill one of those bottles. When you have about 50 bottles around you un-capped, you want to be careful of the domino effect :fro: .

I recommend that you buy a book. I know I know, you want to brew right now, but they are really good for referencing. All of a sudden on brew day, you'll think, "how far into the boil do I add irish moss?" and you'll have your handy book with you to index it. My recommendation is the Dummies Guide for Homebrewing (it's incredibly user-friendly).

Your from Berkeley? I live around San Mateo--nice to see another Californian.

:mug:

Thank you sommerville, yes I am from berkeley. Although, i will be in north carolina for school, and hope I can continue brewing there, I think I've found a supply store so it should work out. Anyways, to avoid the domino effect I was thinking of putting all the bottles in a box. I do have a "book" on brewing, but it doesn't go into too much depth on the bottling. Thanks for your help

Back