999 Barley Wine takes a first place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know it's really young and should not be going to comps yet but I could not help myself.
My homebrew club has a meeting once a month and at those meetings there is a competition.
This month was any beer with an OG higher then 1.080. I had planed to submit my Wee-Heavy but I only got about 8 oz out of the keg before it went dry. So that left the BW.
I took just shy of a 1/2 gallon with me to the meeting and submitted it to the comp. I took first place with a BJCP score of 40.5 They knocked me down for being to sweet.
With an OG of 1.150 and a FG of 1.040 I agree, it's to sweet. It's sitting at 14.59%abv and really sweet and heavy. But it was loved so hey I guess it's ok.
Now I have to bottle two bottles of it to send to the AHA for their club only comp because I won. crap...

I'm actually going to cut it with either my APA or an IPA to knock down that sweetness before sending it out for the swap. So you that are getting from me you will get one bottle as it sits now and two after I dilute it.:mug:

I'm actually going to cut it with either my APA or an IPA to knock down that sweetness before sending it out for the swap. So you that are getting from me you will get one bottle as it sits now and two after I dilute it.:mug:

:off: You make it sound like crack or coke or something... :cross:

Back