99% Efficiency? Is this possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
So I brewed a milk stout today. Up to this point I have never gotten over 85% efficiency. I followed the advice of some people and decided to change from batch sparge to fly sparge. Also, I drained the wort from the Mash Tun at half the speed I normally do. What I ended up with something with 99% effieciency according to BeerSmith?? Is this possible? What is going on here. Beersmith predicted 1.050 initial gravity for a 5.50 gallon batch. I ended with a little more than 5.50 gallons and had a gravity of 1.064! I double checked with another hydrometer and with a refractometer because I didn't believe it. All of these confirmed 1.064. Is my beersmith file wrong or something? I used:

7lb - Marris Otter
0.5 - Crystal 60
0.5 lb - Chocolate
0.5 lb - Roasted Barley
0.25 lb - CarafaIII
1lb - Lactose

What is going on there? Any explanation/and or similiar stories would be helpful.

So I brewed a milk stout today. Up to this point I have never gotten over 85% efficiency. I followed the advice of some people and decided to change from batch sparge to fly sparge. Also, I drained the wort from the Mash Tun at half the speed I normally do. What I ended up with something with 99% effieciency according to BeerSmith?? Is this possible? What is going on here. Beersmith predicted 1.050 initial gravity for a 5.50 gallon batch. I ended with a little more than 5.50 gallons and had a gravity of 1.064! I double checked with another hydrometer and with a refractometer because I didn't believe it. All of these confirmed 1.064. Is my beersmith file wrong or something? I used:

7lb - Marris Otter
0.5 - Crystal 60
0.5 lb - Chocolate
0.5 lb - Roasted Barley
0.25 lb - CarafaIII
1lb - Lactose

What is going on there? Any explanation/and or similiar stories would be helpful.

You added the lactose, and then took the OG? Or took the OG without the lactose? You'd only get about 7 points from lactose anyway, but lactose's "efficiency" is 100%, of course.

I took the reading after I added the lactose. Any ideas of how this happened? BeerSmith accounts for the lactose anyways doesn't it?

OK I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. I actually added 8lbs of Marris Otter instead of 7lbs like I thought so that makes my efficiency more like 88%. Thats more believable I suppose.

Back