911: Hops escaped hop bag, need to bottle now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I added my dry hop pellets a little over a week ago, now I'm ready to bottle, but the sample I just drew is filled with hop matter. I need to get this into the bottle so it's ready for a wedding at the end of the month. What can I do?

Thanks in advance

Sanitize the hop bag and stick it over the end of your racking cane / autosiphon. It'll be annoying and get stuck, but it will filter most of it out.

Wrap the end of the your racking cane with a muslin bag or panty hose to filter out the particles. Or if it is really bad then wrap that with a stainless steel scrubby to capture the larger particles first so that the bag doesnt get clogged.

You could try to cold crash it over a few nights if you have the means to, the hops may settle and compact at the bottom of the fermentor.

Thanks! I'm actually going to take it one step further: in addition to the hop bag on the auto-siphon, I'm going to line my bottling bucket with my BIAB bag. What the hop bag misses the BIAB bag should get.

Thanks again!

Just make sure to clean & sanitize your BIAB bag really well...grain is full of lactobacillus which makes hop trub seem like Christmas in comparison.

Cut a piece of panty hose (or use a knee-high) and attach it the OUTPUT end of the hose, leaving a lot of excess hanging off the end (basically attach it like a bag to the end of your siphon hose). Trust me, if you put it on the racking cane (input side) it will simply plug up constantly and result in a lot of aggravation.

If you have time, cold crash it. I just had a similar issue and 48 hours at 30 F dropped it nice and clear, no need for filters on the transfer.

This happen to me two batches ago...super annoying...in the end...siphoning into a SS pot then into another made all the pellets stick to the walls, the bag on the siphon should work well though

Just make sure to clean & sanitize your BIAB bag really well...grain is full of lactobacillus which makes hop trub seem like Christmas in comparison.

Actually, I bottled a saison, and a little lacto might not be such a bad thing. The bag worked perfectly, and while I think a few pieces did get in, it wasn't bad at all.

One of these days I'll have a spare fridge to cold-crash in, but since I don't usually dry-hop, and use whole hops when I do, I'm not too worried about it. That being said, I know what to do if I ever have this problem again.

Thanks everybody!

Back