91% Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenSpyder

Reaction score
I just finished:

10lbs Maris Otter
1lb Biscuit

Mashed 1 hr @ 156F
Preboil was 7 gallons at 1.054

Brewer's Friend shows 91.08% BH Efficiency.

This is the 4th batch I've made with my upgraded equipment and the second batch I've actually taken measurements. So, I get that's a good number, but other than I've gotten most of the sugars from my grain......

How does this effect my finished beer? Higher ABV? Fewer protein chains for less body? What...?

That would be the mash efficiency. It tells you your mashing process is effective. That assumes your measures of volume, Gravity and weight of grain are all correct.

What was the brew house efficiency. If the entire contents of the kettle went into the FV that should be the same. If any volume was left in kettle
or chiller
or hoses
or lost to boil over
or absorbed by hops in a sock or spider

the BH efficiency will be a bit lower.

This is the number you want to help formulate grain bills for future batches. You need

Volume into FV
Gravity of wort prior to pitching yeast at the correct calibration temp of your hydrometer

Sounds like your process is good. Sweet. I too get great satisfaction in hitting high efficiency numbers and my target volumes and Gravity. I am admittedly a bit of a geek though. Whatever floats your boat.

Once again. Nicely done.

Last edited:
Back