90%+ Apparent Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rezer

Reaction score
This is my first homebrew and I'm using Cooper's Australian Lager canned kit.

My OG was ~1.043 after adjusting for temperature. My FG 6 days later was ~1.003 after adjusting for temperature.

I didn't think much of it before, but when I plugged the numbers into a calculator for alcohol content, a glaring 93% apparent attenuation spat out. A quick google search has people saying that this number is basically ridiculously high and not achievable.

Testing my hydrometer readings, I waited for the foam/head in my sampler to subside, and I spun the hydrometer to remove any bubbles. Even if I did misread, I'm still going to be close to that 90% mark.

Did I screw up? Did I get lucky? Is this something you'd expect from lagers?

This is my first homebrew and I'm using Cooper's Australian Lager canned kit.

My OG was ~1.043 after adjusting for temperature. My FG 6 days later was ~1.003 after adjusting for temperature.

I didn't think much of it before, but when I plugged the numbers into a calculator for alcohol content, a glaring 93% apparent attenuation spat out. A quick google search has people saying that this number is basically ridiculously high and not achievable.

Testing my hydrometer readings, I waited for the foam/head in my sampler to subside, and I spun the hydrometer to remove any bubbles. Even if I did misread, I'm still going to be close to that 90% mark.

Did I screw up? Did I get lucky? Is this something you'd expect from lagers?

Adjusting for temperature is far from a precise science, how hot were you measuring your OG and FG? You should always try to measure them at or near room temp...

Back